Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Brubeck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kserg, Aug 29, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Saw Dave Brubeck few days ago... oh man... oh man... man it was good... If you guys get a chance do it... it was a very good...

The cool thing was to see him stand up and tell us that this was his 10th show in 10days or so... first show he played was open stage and raining like crazy... and then watch how much fun the man had doing the show even though you could really tell he was tired.

I know this should probably be in double bass forum since guy who plays there does play standup... but i don’t know anyone there so:)

His newish bassist is amazing too... very very cool sound...

Oh yeah let me say it again... oh god it was good...

Overall probably the best concert i have ever witnessed and i am happy that i did:)

Now i can't wait for next show... marcus miller in october :D YAY

Cheers

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He's gonna be here Monday (Detroit). I may check it out, it's a free show. I'm going to see McCoy Tyner and Joe Zwainel on Saturday.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't know Dave was still going... awesome!

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Dude from what he was saying (told a few stories) he is going hard...

Stories about tours in europe then back here in states then right away back to Europe for like 15 shows in about a month+ then back here again...

Its great (and well... amazing at age of 85)... makes me like the guy that much more:)

Cheers

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's fantastic. Dave Brubeck is an amazing musician, his compositions really had their own style. They had the feel of cool jazz, but had more of an improvisitory nature to them making some kind of Cool Bop or something. I have problems picking out certain jazz artists (mostly due to the fact that so many are greatly imitated), but Brubeck's music sounds so great.

I don't know if he's still alive, but is Paul Desmond still around? He had the coolest sax sound around. And he wrote their "hit" Take 5. One of the most memorable melodies ever.

Mad props to Mr. Brubeck... I'm very glad to hear he's going strong at 85. That's really cool!

6. are you going to the show at UCLA?
    I'm so there! (i go to school there, so i get the 17 dollar tickets :ninja: )

I can't wait! :bassist:

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Unfortunately no :) I am going to one in San Francisco. :) I actually can't wait...

Nope... he died in 1977 (cancer i believe)

But I will have to say that the new guy that replaced him is very brilliant as well.

8. Lame Thrower

Lame Thrower Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I saw him in Sacramento on Saturday. Incredible show.

Any jazz fan should see Dave if they get the chance. He's really a historical figure the likes of which you don't see very often.

On a side note, I was watching Dave's bassist pretty closely, very impressed. I did notice him make one mistake, though.

At the end of Take 5, after the extended drum solo, they play the head a couple more times, and I noticed he looked a little disinterested, like his head was somewhere else, and sure enough, he missed a change, followed by a big sheepish grin in Dave's direction. It was pretty funny.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    When I saw him (Villa Montalvo)... bassist was right on the mark... one time drummer went like half of step of beat but fixed it very quickly...

Drum solo made me cry... (no it didn’t because I am a man… and men don’t cry… there is no crying in baseball! …fine yeah… ) :) Drummer broke the stick but no one noticed:)

10. I agree - Dave Brubeck is amazing! I saw him here in the east coast a couple of years ago - incredible performance! What a musician! A couple of weeks ago, one of the local jazz stations broadcast a recording of Charlie Parker being interviewed by Paul Desmond - fascinating programme - great interview.

- Wil

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Wil, was that at the Newport Jazz Festival?

And was the interview on WGBH? Dang, I missed it ...
    Maybe on Eric's evening show or Steve Schwartz's show?

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    :rollno: Jerry Bergonzi on sax and prolly Michael Moore on bass.

13. I don't remember exactly which station, but a quick google-hunt reveals:

http://www.melmartin.com/html_pages/Interviews/bird_desmond.html

which was first done in 1954 - from what I remember of the programme I heard, this may well have been it.

- Wil

14. Well said. He's one of my heroes.

Desmond died in the mid-70s I think. His was a sensibility that hasn't been seen in jazz since. Here's a short story he wrote about life on the road with the Quartet.