Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Carpenter

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    On my way home from work tonight I was listening, as always, to KJAZZ, the LA local 24 hour Jazz station ( http://www.kkjz.org/ ).

I caught a great peice by a clarinet/guitar/bass trio, and a little internet sleuthing revealed that it was the "Mort Weiss Trio" playing "Soon" from their just-released CD "The Three Of Us" .......great stuff.

Further research revealed that bass was provided by LA's very own Dave Carpenter (no wonder it sounded so good). I've seen him play locally - literally just up the street at the local Jazz venue, even. I thought he was good then, but tonight was the first time I'd heard him recorded, and I'll now be going to the record store tomorrow to try to locate the CD.

Any one else heard him on anything else? Or even heard of him?

Andy
    (airbass)

2. Dave is on Harvey Mason's new disc 'With all my Heart".
    He plays on a couple tracks,one w.Chick and one w. Herbie.
    I have heard of Dave before,but really never on recordings,he plays great w. these two monsters!!!!

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    You might check out his work with Peter Erskine. Peter has had a trio with Dave and Alan Pasqua for a while now. Very high level improvising and deep empathy. Highly recommended.

4. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I couldn't get the Mort Weiss disc locally (It'll arrive soon from Amazon), but I did manage to pick up Harvey Mason's.

What a great surprise! Who'd a thunk something this good would come from a drummer :D

Eleven tracks, from a selection of different piano trios, featuring, on bass; Ron Carter, Dave Carpenter, Eddie Gomez, Charnet Moffett, Larry Grenadier, Mike Valerio, George Mraz & Charlie Haden.

There's some nice liner notes about each song, on the whole a very nicely performed, recorded and produced CD.

Thanks for the recommendation, Mark.

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Dave is also the bassist on Allan Holdsworth's "acoustic" disc from a few years ago called "Sixteen Men of Tain." Great semi-straightahead recording from Holdsworth, and a good showing for Dave. I'd never heard him before purchasing this record. Definitely the best Holdsworth record I've heard. As organic as he can get I guess.

6. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, great, now I've got more CDs I have to buy :scowl:

Actually, thanks for the recommendation. :)

I received the Mort Weiss CD tonight, and after the first listen it is a good as I expected - probably better. Dave Carpenter has a great sound - big and full, with a nice growl in there too.

The sleeve notes say that these were "1st takes" warts and all, but they sound like a really tight unit. Aparently there were 19 cuts recorded, so with 9 on this release there'll be a "vol. 2" available sometime soon I hope.

7. If this thread isn`t dead...... This gives me a chance to push one of my favorite recordings. Check out Mr Carpenter on the Bill Holman Band`s Brilliant Corners. Most excellent.

8. I heard him play a bunch of times in Maynard Ferguson's band in the 80's. He would always talk to us high school kid's and be really encouraging. I don't know if he's on those records though.