Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Chappelle checks into clinic.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, May 12, 2005.

1. Apparently Chappelle ISN'T as laid back and un-affected by his newfound fame....

Or is it an underlying issue? Was a skit no one revered a cry for help? Who knows? Either way, Dave Chappelle done checked himself into an undisclosed mental health clinic and halted production on the new season of his hit show.

All after getting a 50 million dollar deal. Man, I'd be "crazy" too.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7821711

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

It's amazing that more 'rags to riches' people don't go insane. You go from having very little to having anything you want. I have to imagine that your sense of reality gets completely thrown out of whack.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    See, now, I suspect a good 5/6ths of them actually are insane, they just have better publicists and cover-up people than, say, Michael Jackson.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I don't care what the reasons are. I really dig his show, and Mos Def is the poop. He can check himself into whatever clinic he wants to, as long as he does come back.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I wonder if he's built the mansion with the Rick James shaped swimming pool yet?

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    mental health issues are no less common than physical health issues, people are just too backward and afraid of the stigma to address them properly.

we are, as a culture, as enlightened about mental health now as we were a century ago with physical health. a century and a half even. leeches and earcandles indeed. :scowl:

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you got, say, sickle cell anemia, you're okay.

If you've got, say, a mild case of schizophrenia, you're screwed. (My brother had a friend how was mildly so, and you'd never know).

"Oh, my, god! Vin Diesel is schizophrenic! He hears voices and stuff; who knew he was batcrap loco?"

8. For the record, I'm not making light of mental health issues...

I really just would like to know what is wrong...

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    He went from poor, to moderately successful, to a $50 million dollar, high-stress, churn-it-out-quickly production deal. That's enough of a lifestyle change to put anyone in a tailspin. I don't care WHO you are.

Whether its drug rehab, mental/emotional/psychiatric issues, stress, or even a "regular" medical condition, I think its a shame that he had to go to South Africa to avoid public and media scrutiny when some of the best care in the world is right here in the U.S.

Get well soon, Dave.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think it's telling of his character (in a good way) that he checked into a mental health clinic. Most super stars turn to the drugs for (probably) the same damn reason Dave checked into a clinic.

Try to self medicate, and end up an alkie, pill popper, or worse.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Shows that he acctually is pretty smart dude... he had problems and he will take care of it... and he will come back...

From what i understand network was presuring him into coming up with funny stuff and he wasnt feeling it... so he got stressed out... let him relax abit then he'll do his thing on this terms... its only way he can still be funny is if he does things when he feels like it...

Also this is nothing like most actors... actors just act he acctually helps write that stuff and acts... abit more presure...

On his standup in SF he acctually said "its weird how nowdays for some reason i am a bitch and everyone around me is rick james..." rick james was good... but not as good as some other stuff he has done...

PS
    Its weird how people only like him for his show... i personally though he was great in robin hood: man in tights and of course half baked...

PS in past few months i feel especially dumb... nothing i say make sense even to me... wth...

Cheers

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Welcome to OUR world!

:p

brad cook

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Yep. Mental health issues are physical health issues, and when we stop persisting in this mind/body duality, things will be a lot different.

I think Chapelle is brilliant, and hope he comes out swingin'.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    All the people coming up to him saying "I'm Rick James Bitch" are responsible for this...

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ..as any member of the public would be.

The thing is, a person should be allowed some privacy where their health is concerned. Maybe that's even part of the problem.

I think it's great that he saw the writing on the wall and sought help before something really bad happenned. A lot of lives are ruined that because people waited to long before they admitted they had a problem, if they saw it as a problem at all.

16. Of course. I'll rephrase: I hope he's on the mend. By "I wonder what's wrong" it's none of my business...my bad.

Privacy = good.

Good on him to recognise a problem and seek help. Definitely.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    get well soon, bia-tch!

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    awww poor Dave, that 50,000,000$ paycheck must be awful and stressfull. Life must be sooooo bad for him.........

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope he gets the help he needs.

20. Totally agreed John. I've worked in the mental health field for over 10 years and I've been a PA state certified Family Therapist for the past 5. Although the stigma thing is actually double-edged. Some people have a huge stigma about getting any mental health treatment, and go through life suffering without any treatment whatsoever... While others think it's actually the "in" thing to do. Sad, really.

Oh well, regardless of everything else, Dave Chappelle is one FUNNY dude. And I wish the best for him.