Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dave chappelle

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FLOYDtheBARBER, Feb 27, 2003.

1. anyone dig this guy? i've been watching chappelle's show on comedy central; i must say, it's quite hilarious. the "mad real world" skit had me on the floor. thoughts?
    i'm gonna go see what's on tonight.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've known about him for years but honestly I don't find his show all that funny...I think it's kind of dumb actually.

The only part where I thought the mad real world was funny was when Chappele's character held up his money and said something like "This is how I'm livin' for the citaaaay" but mostly cuz I love Stevie Wonder.

I dunno it seems to perpuate stereotypes I thought were supposed to be negative. I was pretty excited when the show was announced because I've seen him on a few things where I thought he was really funny but I haven't been too happy about the show. I probably won't watch it anymore and I tried to give it like 4 or 5 chances.

hdracer likes this.
  3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think its GREAT. Very funny IMO.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The show is pretty funny, and i think dave himself writes all of it. He is a very funny guy. I saw him on late nite with conan obrien, the night beore the show came out, he ws hillarious.

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah I have seen teh show 2ice. It was funny. Did anyone see the blind KKK guy he played. It was halarious.

6. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    I personally think the show is hilarious. I dug the KKK skit as well as many others. I think he was great in Half-Baked. Great movie. First r-rated movie I saw at the theater, good times...

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like Dave and his show... he's a local guy and definitely not even remotely close to being PC.

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Half Baked will always be a classic

9. I love it. But man, wow. It's like he's trying to get the show booted lol. The blind KKK skit was absolutely the funniest/worst thing I've seen. I felt bad for laughing at it.....but it was just the wrongest and funniest thing I've seen in a while.

He's always been funny in everything I've seen. The mad real world was just absolutely a laugh riot, when the dad gets stabbed....the gf gets taken advantage of...etc. Woof.

Can't wait for the next show....weeeeeee

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think hes one of the funniest people out there. i love the show and make sure to watch it every week. the humor is definitely an acquired taste. myself(im mexican), and a friend i grew up with who's black would go back and forth trading racial slurs to see who could come up with the most creative stuff. we thought it was hilarious, but everyone else just thought we were crazy.

11. The "Mad Real World" skit was the funniest thing i've seen in a long time:D
    He is a decent comedian, not great, but he is pretty creative.

12. The thing I do like about Dave is that he does kinda do what ever the he11 he wants, and gets paid for it.

All of us should wish to have a job that satisfying.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So I am the only one who thinks his show is not funny? I must be getting old or something. :confused:

14. I don't think he's that funny, but I admire his individuality and his "F**k you if you don't like it; I'vm doing it anyways" attitude.

He lets loose, forgets political correctnes, and has a lot of fun. Take him with a grain of salt. He isn't out to amuse everyone. Not everyone finds him funny, just as not everyone found Lenny Bruce funny (I love that one "Jews killed Jesus" quote, but other people would get offended, for example).

Just a matter of people's opinions.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I like the show a lot...

"Report to Heaven at 0800 hours!"
    :D

The musical segments have been pretty cool, too. The one with Mos Def rapping while driving around NYC with Chappelle was awesome.

16. half baked is one of my alltime favorite movies because of that guy. hes the man. i havent seen him in a while though. i know he got his show but comedy central got pulled from small town cable.

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

i was creeepin just like that sarge!

18. "you don't feel safe??? tyrese; you stabbed my dad!"
    hilarious:D

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I keep missing it.:mad:

20. The show is alright, but it seems like he goes to a commerical break every other sketch. I think there are more commericals than there is actual footage of the show. Kind of pathetic. But what is there is usually pretty funny.