1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dave Ellefson's old tone vs new

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    For me they both sound great, and they're similar but honestly I prefer the old one. The new one is a a bit too "modern" to my ears and his old tone sounds more aggressive and with more presence

New:

Please comment:hyper:

2. Yeah, I'm right there with you on that.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    My favorite tone of his was actually on their first album.

4. I think the main difference is the EQ on the video. Listen to everything else.

5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I love his tone on Peace Sells. That made me want a BC Rich for a while.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think if you heard them both recorded the exact same way, there'd be fewer differences than similarities. The whole mix sounded cleaner on the new one, or so I thought, so it could very well be the recording process making it happen.

7. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    Well, there are several videos from the early 90's and they all sound about the same.

8. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    In all the videos from the early 90's you hear the same tone from rust in peace and countdown to extinction. But if you listen the videos from the last 3 years I thin it's the same tone that can be heard in megadeth's last album and also in this video:

Now that's what I call a "modern" tone

9. 2010... pretty rad

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A little more scooped these days, I guess. Actually a lot more scooped.

11. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    He's said he likes it scooped, as Megadeth's guitar is mostly midrange. Sort of a contrast to the typical metal guitar-bass dynamic.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Sounded more like it had to do with the angle of the sound on the video.......what I mean is, it appears the each of these videos were done at different angles to FOH system.....one being brighter than the other......

13. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    Well really I think his old tone is more aggressive because he used rotosound stainless strings and GK 800rb amp back in those days.
    Now he uses nickel strings and a tube amp

14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    also pickups. the old video he's got a jackson with an emg p(reverse)/j setup, the newer one is an emg dc/cs combo.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Every bassist has to find his/her own place in the band, and if scooping works, then scoop away. There's a lot of emphasis on not mid scooping on here, and while more mids but not crazy amounts seem to work for me, scooping works really well for a lot of folks, too. It's totally valid.

16. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Indeed it is. Now, personally, I'd say it doesn't work as well as he thinks it does, but that's another debate entirely.

17. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If that's the case, he should install a BQC in it. Always liked EMG's, but they do sound kind of scooped set flat. With the BQC, though, I can just about match my tone with the Precision. A bit cleaner, but since the BQC has a sweepable mid control, I can totally get that level of mids.

19. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA