Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Grohl quote about Oliveri

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    from an interview taken at Leeds:

Was it good to catch up with Nick Oliveri?

"Yeah, I love Nick. He’s a good old friend. He’s a crazy mo*********r, but he’s the best bass player in the world. That guy can stay up for six days, drink more than anyone you know, take more drugs than anyone you’ve ever seen, and still have f****’ better time than most drummers. He’d become my metronome. He’s been up for, like, a week!"

I would post a link to the entire interview, but as you can see, there are some words not allowed here.

In that comment you have the best and worst things about the former QOTSA bass player.

I think it's nice for Dave to say some good things about Nick, everyone has been against him when speaking to the press.

Oliveri has been one of my favorites for a long time. Solid playing with some nice fills, and what a tone. Some old Ampegs red-lining into 8x10s and a P bass with a Seymour Duncan QP sounds fantastic to my ears.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Interesting.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think Nick deserves any praise or pity. Sometimes it takes everyone turning against you to realize that drugs are taking over your life. He's messed up, imagine how solid his time would be if That guy didn't stay up for six days, drink more than anyone you know, and take more drugs than anyone you’ve ever seen.

Side note: I hated his tone with Kyuss. Scott Reeder rulz.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

All good points. I never like to see anyone get that deep into drugs.

Matt the conqueror: I was refering to his live tone in Qotsa. Should have clarified. What do you think of his live tone, still poo poo?

5. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Regardless....the new QOTSA album without him sucked.

MatronMother likes this.
  6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I loved Nicks playing.But the new albums good too.He's a true rockstar in a world of whieny prima donna types.How is he not a mess though from all the drugs?I mean he's on some serious ****!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh his tones with Queens was awesome! I was just going on a tangent. I just don't like people defending Nick. A lot of people think Josh Homme is on some big ego trip kicking Nick out, but let me ask you this, if it was a guitarist who got kicked out, would you be all huffy about it? If Mark Lanegan got trashed every night, blew a few gigs, was a complete wreck... would Josh be justified kicking him out?

He's a good bassist, but not worth the chaos he brought. I don't like the "rock star lifestyle" in total excess by any means and would not tolerate it from a band.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Other than his drinking, just out of curiosity, what was Nick doing anyway? I hear drugs, but what kind? Cocaine perhaps, something other?

What shows did he blow? I guess I am somewhat on the outs of what Nick did or didn't do.

As far as Lanegan is concerned, he was kicked out for "using". Now he is back in.

Quick side note, I hear stories all the time about Ben Shepherd walking off stage mid songs and throwing bassess or breaking them, spitting at people, cussing at people. Apparently this made Chris Cornell somewhat unhappy. May that have factored into the Soundgarden split? And is the kind of thing we're talkign about with Nick?

Cheers.

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    You're right, Nick deserves no defense. He was way out of line, supposedly beating his girlfriend and on one occasion throwing full bottles of beer in the audience somewhere. This is all hear-say. Josh did say it was like cleaning up after a tornado every night. He was tired of having the band take the blame for some of Nick's antics.

I just wish the guy could straighten out and then we could see how good of a rock bassist he can be.

About for Ben from Soundgarden, I have no clue, if someone could shed some light on the situation. Cornell seems like he could be a diva.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I knew that dude was high when I saw him live...

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Among other things, probably speed.

Homme seems quite willing to talk smack about others, regardless of how often he does the same things.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw their second to last show.......Ben was gone! Chris Cornell didn't look too happy. Matt Camron held the whole thing together....great drummer!!!

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003

Well we can take for granted Nick smoked more than cigarettes!Cocaine I'd imagine as he has refered to it a few times.Probably pills,Mushrooms,Speed.I'd say whatever was available.Josh is no saint either!

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    When you say gone, do you mean gone on a substance or just not really caring at all?

Ok, so Nick smoked some rock. It happens. I don't advise it myself, but it happens nevertheless.

Aside from all that, I think both guys ar really bad ass bass players and musicians.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    That's a shame. I still like him though. Considering what I have heard about his post-Soundgarden life, if it's true, in a way I feel bad for him.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    yeah i think it's pretty obvious oliveri is a whack job, but he is a damn fine bassist. very cool tone and some creative lines, especially on rated r. dug scott reeder with kyuss more than him, but also i liked those two albums better so that's part of it.

i miss his lines on the new queens, but obviously josh is the main dude behind queens, the new one smokes as much as the other 3.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    When you hear "stays up for six days" you can pretty much assume crystal meth - and if somebodies doing that crap, you can pretty much assume that they're not above doing anything - What drugs, I would think any and all of them.

19. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    'That's a shame. I still like him though. Considering what I have heard about his post-Soundgarden life, if it's true, in a way I feel bad for him'

What have you heard about him?
    Have you read that interview with him in Bass guitar magazine a few months ago, he sounds pretty crazy.

Still one hell of a great bassist. I miss Soundgarden...........

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If you want to hear about Nick check out Mondo Generator with track titles like "Meth I Hear you Callin' " and "So High, So Low" you get the picture pretty quick that he's on something