1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dave Grohl: Why Rock & Roll Will Never Die

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stratovani, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I'd say he's right on with most of it. I tend to agree with his statement about the musical climate being the same as it was before Nirvana made it big. I was really young then but right now there's so much music coming out so fast that no one is "caring" for it, they're just pumping it out and the majority of it sucks. I VERY RARELY listen to any "new" music because most of it isn't even worth my time to get. A lot of people would think I'm missing out on something but give me The Beatles and AC/DC any day of the week over this other stuff.

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Amen, Rock On!!! :bassist:

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Props to Grohl for sticking to his guns, even if I really can't stand the Foo Fighters. Shoulda been a one hit wonder with Learn to Fly :bag:

4. I think he is right. The music world is ripe for another revolution. Does not necessary need to be classic guitar-driven rock but something powerful and closer to the roots. And especially something kids could relate to and does not take a huge production studio to produce or perform on-stage so anyone could jump in and start bands.

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Good.

6. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    i love the Foo Fighters and I really think Grohl represents what Rock and Roll is... its raw, its loud, it quality. I'm in a modern "bro rock" band and I like it, we have some cool tunes but I would kill to be in a straight up rock band like FF

it is said the state of music... it is getting better but at least where i live its a lot of "scene" bands... screamo, metal type bands.... nothing wrong with those bands, but most of the members have no respect for where rock came from or what rock and roll even is..

7. I think there are a lot more rock and roll fans in the US than the music industry seems to think. They go and see rock and roll cover bands, they listen to the classic albums they already have on CDs. But they aren't buying much of the new albums coming out, because the quality in much of it just isn't there.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Funny, was only listening to the Probot album yesterday...

9. Nice read, i agree that there is just so much out there that shouldnt be , bands that arent that great but get to be out there because now every band can be out there , on the internet , youtube , twitter all that , the internet allows more mediocre bands to survive

10. Dave is a student of Classic Rock, and he has always waved that banner proudly. Thank god. But "rock and roll" is surely in a flaccid state here in the good ol' US of A, and it's pretty sad.

I hope he is right, and we're on the verge of another creative rock explosion. It's overdue.