Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Holland - Life Cycle

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Yeah, yeah, it's a cello album and not a bass one, but it's still awesome. The heavy metal riffing in Inception and the Texas blues in Resolution are especially awesome.

Anyone else have this?

2. Reviving an old thread here. I had one track from Life Cycles on a recent Dave Holland release of selected tracks. Now I have the whole Life Cycles CD. There are many great bassist who also play cello, but Holland is a really fine cellist. I recommend this for anyone who likes to hear some nice work with a bow and some great playing in general;- very nearly classical in nature. I know there's no double bass on it, but there is a lot of overlap in the range of the two instruments and their musical function. I truly enjoy this one.

3. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Do you know that Dave learned how to play the cello while in the hospital recovering from heart surgery? If I was in the hospital I'd probably lay there and complain the foods sucked....Dave Holland? Oh, he just goes and masters the cello.......

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I will have to get ahold of this- I like Holland's playing quite a bit and some offbeat work sounds really insteresting. I love things that are unconventional. :)

5. My guess then is the only reason he can really play the cello is because they wouldn't let him have a full size DB in the recovery ward....

That makes me want to try a cello now! I have a salvaged cello neck, FB and pegbox. I just need to make a body for it. They have 5th tuning so that would be an experience to adjust to that. I know there are some bass players tuning basses like that to get more range on the handle.

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I have tried cello a few times, meaning, there have been 2-3 occassions when I had 5 minutes to pick one up.

The hard part, it would seem to me, would be figuring out where the notes are, intonation wise and location wise. I think bowing tranfers nicely and the left hand would have an easy time with those puny strings LOL.

Now, getting used to it between your legs.....:bag:

7. Karl

Karl

Sep 9, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    A Cello is actually easier to intonate than a DB as you can hear the tone you play much more clearly. Don't underestimate the bowing, and the left hand part is everything but easy!

8. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Cello can be played with german style ?