Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Holland on Bass Player Magazine Cover

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just received my copy of Bass Player in the mail and, as well as the cover, Dave has an extensive interview inside.

Gotta go read it...

2. I thought it was a great article: Hererra asked good questions that appealed both to musicians generally and bassists specifically, and Dave Holland seems to be a very intelligent and thoughtful subject. I would have liked to see Chris Jisi attempt to dissect some of Holland's recent quintet or big band recordings ("Billows of Rhythm" would have been very cool), but the solo intro seemed interesting and encouraged me to dig into DH's older work.

I do find it remarkable that DH has managed to keep a band full of first-call studs together for so long when there are so many pickup groups with interchangeable players. It reminds me of comments in a thread in one of the orchestral sub-forums: even guys with posh jobs (e.g., Dallas SO) will sacrifice a lot for the chance to be in something more challenging and thought-provoking (e.g., Boston/Chicago SO).

Thumbs up to BP.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I may have to pick up a copy of the magazine. I used to have a subscription but after a while there didn't seem to be much in it that I enjoyed.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you don't already, you might want to check out a subscription to this magazine.

5. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it has improved a lot over the last few years (enough for me to finally subscribe earlier this year).

They seem to have gotten away from the teen-angst-metal theme and now have articles and tutorials that appeal to the...Ahem...more mature readers.

There has been much more DB content of late too - as illustrated by having DH on the cover. You can't get much higher DB profile than that.

6. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I go check for that (Double Bassist magazine, for those that didn't follow Ed's link) every so often at the Borders on the corner when I go get my coffee. It has lots of nice DB pictures (and articles), but is rather expensive ($10 or so). Good job it's only published every other month - I don't need any more distractions from actually getting down to practice.:meh:

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Ed. I'm familiar with the magazine although I don't subscribe to it. I do buy it occassionally when there is a particular article or interview that catches my attention. I do think in general its a much better magazine than Bassplayer.

8. STRINGS is another great magizine...although it is mainly centered toward violin and cello players,it has has a some great articles for bass...a few months ago they had a great interview with Ron Carter...this may be a moot point as you may know about the magizine...but where I live,the Carter issue is the only copy I have seen of it before and since...

...but between the Bass player article and the last few recent issues of Downbeat(new album,new record lable,new drummer...),Dave Holland seems to be everywhere!...not that it is a bad thing!