Dave Holland Quintet - Not For Nothin' and Keith Jarret - Up For It

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I picked up these two and MJQ (my first MJQ record, WOW) and I've gotta say, I'm really digging these guys. One question though -- do all recent ECM releases within the last couple years have a little bit of silence on the first 5-8 seconds of the first track, or is it just these two? Was it some random ECM employee who thought "Hmm, what can we do to make the 'ECM sound' more noticeable?" I do not understand.

However, these are both awesome records...certainly not a fan of the $25 price tag on the Keith Jarret, but still excellent. These are also my initiation to...everyone playing on these records. I've been hearing about Dave Holland, Percy Heath, Jack Dejohnette, Milt Jackson, etc., but this is my first time actually hearing these guys play and...wow! Any other particular recordings you'd reccomend from any of the groups here? I'd prefer smaller ensembles, I don't really dig the sound of big band as much (especially modern big band -- no offense to Mr. Holland.)
  2. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    If you are looking for more small-group Keith Jarret, you'll probably really like his trio recordings with Jack Dejohnette and Gary Peacock. There's some DVD's out there as well.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mmm, this was one of two of the trio recordings at the store -- I picked this one up because I love several of the tunes on it (If I Were A Bell, My Funny Valentine, and Autumn Leaves specifically) compared to the other one, which I wasn't very familiar with. I'd love to pick up the DVD...but I keep spending way too much money on albums and DVDs right now. I'll definitely have to earmark the DVD mentioned here and by Chris in the other topic.

EDIT: An interesting note on the Keith Jarret record I got. It's from a live show in Juan-Les-Pins, a music festival in...France? It was raining for several days before the show (which was rather unseasonal) and continued to rain throughout their performance. The quality of recording is so good you can hear the rain at several points throughout the record and it gives a wonderful colour to the intro of Autumn Leaves and throughout the rest of the cut (a 16 minute medley of Autumn Leaves and Up For It, a Jarret tune.) The liner notes describe much of what I just mentioned, and have a wonderful, inspiring ending. Very cool notes.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why did you buy a big band recording then? :confused:

Dave Holland has made many more quartet and quintet recordings over the years - I think my favourite is "Prime Directive" with his regular current quintet.

He's also done solo DB recordings - like Emerald Tears. :)
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ...I didn't buy a big band recording. I bought a quintet recording. The only big band albums I have are the Greg Runions Big Band - Sweet Home Suite and the Bob Ayre Big Swing Band featuring Pat Hill.

Thanks for the tips, though. Is that solo DB recording an album, or is it just one (or more) songs featured on a larger album with a group?
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry - I misread your post and throught you were talking about Dave Holland's latest album which is another big band one!?

Emerald Tears is a whole album - just of solo DB - I think he's done another one as well!
  7. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    The other one that I know of is titled One's All, it is some truly inspiring stuff.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into the solo stuff. Are these more jazz, classical, or...well, Dave Hollandish, like the compositions on Not For Nothin'?
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Jazzy - although he has worked with the Contemporary Classical composer Mark Anthony Turnage - I saw him play a kind of Bass Concerto for Jazz Double Bass, with a small orchestra and Jazz ensemble circa Miles' electric period!!

I'm really frustrated that this hasn't been recorded yet - I'd love to hear it again! :(
  10. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
  11. Prime Directive by the Dave Holland Quintet is excellent also. If you liked Not for Nothing you should enjoy it as well.

The Dave Holland big-band cd isn`t anything like what you expect to hear from a big band, modern or otherwise. There are very few section parts, mostly just additional soloists. Most or all of the tunes on that recording are from his quintet`s repertoire, and they have a very "live" feel. One of my favorites.