Dave holland Quintet

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Insighted02, Dec 24, 2002.

1. hello everyone,

Listening to Dave Hollands Acoustic Bass Jazz group has been a fantastic joy. Listening to their album is a daily ritual. The album is "Not for Nothin...." and it's highly recommended by me. I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything else that made fall into the lines of this groups style. What else is good out there? My lack of experience in this subject is killing me.

If not.......what's your favorite jazz ensemble?

2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    check out "prime directive" . It preceeded "not for nuthin" both of these are in my daily line up. same personnel on prime as on not.

this is probably the tightest quintet around these days. catch them live if you can; a real treat.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Holland's bands are smokin'!
    I actually prefer Prime Directive & Points Of View over Not For Nothing...the recent Dave Holland Big Band album is also very, very good.
    Billy Kilson & Robin Eubanks are the s***!

Something similar-
    You may like Ben Allison's music...like Holland, Allison is a bassist that leads a very hip band. And he composes some very cool stuff.
    Personally, I like his debut, Seven Arrows...& the later Riding The Nuclear Tiger & Peace Pipe(the most recent).
    Check www.benallison.com or www.palmetto-records.com

I would also recommend these two Mingus discs from the '70s-
    Changes 1 & Changes 2.
    More superb playing, composing, improvising, blending, blah.

You may also like Andrew Hill's seminal '60s album, Point Of Departure...the personnel reads like a who's who of Modern Jazz. ;)
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in Double Bass?

If you're looking for DBers leading and writing originals - you could also try Avishai Cohen or Christian McBride - but there is very little out there that is really like Dave Holland's music - the closest I have heard on CD are some of the things that Kenny Wheeler has done - so Dave Holland actually plays on "Angel Song" by Kenny Wheeler which I can heartily recommend.

There is another similar group I saw live recently, but I don't think you can get any CDs - so Ben Davis, who leads a Septet in the UK, has studied with Dave Holland.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just picked up "What Goes Around" and I think it's my new favorite full disk. I also prefer 'Prime Directive" to "Not for Nuthin" but both are in fairly regular rotation...

...the title track from "Conference of the Birds" is still my favorite Dave Holland track. There is just something about the way a pair of flutes interacting with Dave's bass.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am really disappointed with the big band cd.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was slightly more "conventional" than Dave Holland's other recent stuff, but I was quite interested to hear this - I don't think many people would be disappointed.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Prime Directive and Points of View. Yum.
  9. I went out and got what I could from my local music store. What I could get out of what they had.........sad.....

Anyway, the big band isn't bad although I'm surprised at how surprised I got when I heard the "what comes around" track where they throw it back to a song from "Not for nothing". (I swear.....sometimes it seems my register in flashing NO SALE 24/7) Took some time to let the name of the album sink in. In fact took a hell of a lot of time....but anyway. I liked it as a whole, although I'm not thrilled with the sub genre. It's not bad, it stays in my cd player.

What disappointed you about the album godoze?

Bruce: I put this post here for lack of a better place. I do think that the instrument you play and the things you listen to are different. Case in point: I only play electric bass and listen to damn near anything including Dave holland. Out of all the groups in the "damn near everything" section, he's one of my favorites. :D That's my opinion though, respect at will...

10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i 'm not sure i can clearly articulate what I do not like about it... That's lame I know. ..Let me think and listen to it again and I'll get back to you.