Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DAVE HOPE

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Been listenin to the old Kansas albums since seeing them a couple of weeks back...

Now here's a bassist who deserves more recognition. Superb, infectious lines and an amazing tone, particularly on Song for America and Miracles out of Nowhere.

Anyone else share my enthusiasm?

tepperware and Squittolo like this.
  2. Always one of my favorites! Learned a lot of chops from those old Kansas albums & especially the 2 songs you mentioned. Learn all the different melodies in that middle part of Miracles Out of Nowhere & you'll have enough liks to keep you going for a few months. One of my bass rigs I keep around specifically when I want to get his sound ('71 P and old SVT)

3. Lightning's Hand is a killer to play along to. Some SERIOUS discipline required to pull that off without it becoming a mess.

It's the reason I want an SVT :)

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Dave Hope has always been one of my favorite bassists, along with Kansas being one of my all time favorite bands since I was a teenager in the '70's. I always have at least 1 Kansas album in my Car's diskchanger! ;)

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I've seen Kansas with Dave Hope a half dozen times, and the guy just continues to blow me away (when I listen to recordings). It's my understanding that he's now a preacher down south somewhere (either Florida or possibly Louisiana).

What a great band.

6. Love the playing on "Monolith" Great bass playing!!!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Lot of chops but still a tasteful player. Man, I think I'm going to bust out my live Kansas disk.

8. True enough.. he's the outreach pastor at Immanuel Anglican Church in Destin, Florida. Article

[​IMG]

Song for America was and is an all-time favorite album. I'm still amazed by the debut album, too. For some reason, the Leftoverture era and beyond didn't grab me like the first three albums.

I never got to see that Kansas band live. I did, however, get to see Kerry Livgren A.D. at a big outdoor festival in the mid-80's. Dave was in that band and still playing great. After A.D. broke up in 1987, Dave moved to Destin.

Always a big Kansas fan here. I finally saw them in 1999 here in K-ville at the TVF, with Billy Greer. We need to start a Billy Greer thread too- that man can play and sing!

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow, I had no idea there are so many Dave Hope fans! He's been the first name in the Influences and Teachers section of my profile since I joined Talkbass. I've always loved his playing but even more so since I started playing bass.

It was great to see him back with the band to record Somewhere to Elsewhere a few years ago, but I would LOVE to see him play live with them again. It doesn't seem like it will happen, but there's always "Hope", right? :)D pun intended). That's not a knock on Billy greer, by the way. I think he's a fantastic player as well.

On a side note, I had tickets to see Kansas earlier this year but they postponed the show until two weeks ago. I was looking forward to it for months but then we found out my son's soccer team had a tournament out of state that weekend and we'd be away . We had to give away the tickets. :(

10. Robert Sjea

Robert Sjea

Mar 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I wish I could get his sound. I've got an Ampeg V4b and a Precision style bass. Does anyone have experience with a type of pickup that would approximate his sound? I simply can't afford a vintage Precision right now. I'd love to hear more about his setup. So far I've read that he played an SVT, through an 8x10 (youtube videos) and that he used Rotosounds. Anyone know more? THanks,
    bob

11. Dave was one of my infuences in the 70s and really made me want to play the bass. His bass lines were more than just the root. They were highly melodic, but yet stayed in the pocket at the same time. His tone was something to die for. :hyper:
    I know his Precision/Ampeg rig was his standard rig, although I did think he played a Rickenbacker as well, although he always came back to the P.
    Whether his basslines were written by Kerry or Steve, or were his own, his playing was quite amazing and imaginative.

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Both times I saw Kansas back in the 70,s he was plugged into a marshall head and cabinet.

13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Dave Hope influenced me quite a bit since I was a HUGE Kansas fan growing up. I would playing along with Leftoverture all the time. Love his playing.

14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    First time I saw Kansas I was 12 and had never heard of them I was (underage) sitting in the 4th row and they were opening for Queen on the Sheer Heart Attack tour. I don't even think their debut album was out yet. Dave came out in overalls--actually so did a couple of the other guys---I couldn't believe it--I was a total prog/glam kid, and . .. OVERALLS!
    Anyway, they started and I was blown away. From what I remember from that very foggy past, was it was the classic pbass and SVT with very new Rotos kinda sound. Killer player, great parts, everything perfectly executed. Later on, I saw them open for Bad Co. and he had the Kramer and some kind of power amp/pre/big 'ol Cerin-Vega PA-looking rig, and had a handlebar mustache and a burning smoke dangling from his face the whole time. Looked cool to me. His kind of tone cut through an arena like nothing else----a classic sound.

15. As far as I know, he always played with a pick, at least when I saw them in concert and on Youtube. I recently saw a Youtube clip of him sitting in with Kansas on a song when they were playing a concert in his neighborhood, in FLA.

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Always a pick from what I know---you can't get that sound any other way. In some regards he reminded me of Greg Lake, in the way he did these very well orchestrated, thematic sort of parts, with a very even, consistent tone and attack, phrasing, etc.---very controlled and refined.
    Not flashy, no unecessary pummeling the instrument. I bet engineers loved tracking him. In all my years of concert going--and there's been a few:)---I still recall him as having one of the clearest most defined sounds in a big arena show I've ever heard.

17. Wow, one of my threads resurrected after 3 years!

Let's all raise a pint to the magnificent Mr Hope, wherever he may be.

"It's always here, it's always there, it's just love, and miracles out of nowhere."

:bassist:

18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Looks like he's an Anglican priest in Florida according to Wikipedia. :)