Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave LaRue Correspondance ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sedgdog, Jan 26, 2002.

1. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Has anyone taken lessons from Dave LaRue via correspondance? What was the quality? Any comments? Just curious. I'm going to try one as I can't find a teacher locally.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, I haven't taken his correspondence lessons, but I have taken lessons with him in person! :)

He's an incredible teacher, and I've heard from some other people who have taken his correspondence lessons that they're very very good. He totally changed the way I play, and much for the better, I highly recommend him.

If you're really interested, I can ask him about it in a little while, he'll be here (Bass Central) in a few minutes to give lessons.... ;)

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

SedgeDog, for a "sneak preview" you could buy LaRue's excellent bass instruction video. It comes with a small booklet, too, that shows some of the examples he plays on the tape. You can get a pretty good look at his personality and approach to bass playing.

If the video is still available (I bought mine in 1992), I suggest you try it. It has some slap and pop instruction in it too.

Check this web site to see if they still have it in stock.

http://ww.bassbooks.com

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Or you could just call me at work, I've got several copies of it within arm's reach. Yes it is still available, Bop :D.

5. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Thanks for the reply. I'm really excited to receive my lesson and get on track with a good teacher. I've been playing for quite sometime, but need some help to grow.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Say, Gard, I had always hoped Dave would make a follow-up video to his first one. Did he ever make a second video and if not, do you think he ever would? Or failing that, do you think he might consider a bass instruction book/CD set?

Another thing...just as an aside. LaRue autographed the booklet that accompanied his video. I brought it to a Steve Morse concert and he was good enough to sign it for me. I treasure that to this day.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    sedgdog - I mentioned your post to Dave today, he is pretty busy, so be patient if you contact him about doing the correspondence lessons. They're very time consuming for him, and he's a bit short on time lately.

Bop - I'll ask him if there are any plans to make a follow up of any kind. As of now, there are no other instructional materials he's done. He was talking about a book a few years ago, but I haven't heard any more about it. I'll drop him an e-mail and ask, I'll either paraphrase, or just cut & paste his reply.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    As advertised, I e-mailed Dave with a couple questions, and here are the responses:

GL: One person was very interested to know if you were going to make a follow-up instructional video, as she was very happy with your first one.

DLR: Yes, I want to use stuff from my new CD, so I'll do it if I ever get the CD done.

GL: To satisfy my own curiosity, you had mentioned a book a few years ago. I had assumed that would be an instructional book, but is it the transcription book instead? If it was going to be an instructional book, is it still a possibility that it will make an appearance soon?

DLR: I did the transcription book, the instructional book is next.

GL: Also, I mentioned someone was interested in your correspondence course. I think he's already e-mailed you about it, I couldn't tell for sure from his
    post.

DLR: I, I raised the price on the corrspondence course because it is way more time-intensive than I thought. See ya next week.

Best - Dave