1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dave Larue Instructional Video ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Has anyone seen this video, I know that he plays 5 strings alot of the time but I was wondering if he does this video on a 4 string ?..also whould it be worth buying anyway for those who play 4 strings ? And what kind of topics does he cover in the video as far as technique and theory go ?

Thanks for listening,
    Chuck

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have the video in question. On it, LaRue plays a four-string Specter bass. The video is from the early 90s, so 5-string basses hadn't caught on all that much then.

LaRue touches on theory, exercises and drills , slap and pop. The video also has a better-than-average booklet accompanying it that shows what LaRue covers on the tape. You could learn a lot from the booklet even if you don't watch the tape.

I bought it when I was just a beginner. The tape seemed very advanced for me, but I kept watching it and dug it out every few months. In a year it no longer seemed so advanced and I was better able to appreciate all that LaRue covers. I have bought several videos, but this one is one of the best of the lot.