Dave Larue Instructional Video ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Has anyone seen this video, I know that he plays 5 strings alot of the time but I was wondering if he does this video on a 4 string ?..also whould it be worth buying anyway for those who play 4 strings ? And what kind of topics does he cover in the video as far as technique and theory go ?

Thanks for listening,
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have the video in question. On it, LaRue plays a four-string Specter bass. The video is from the early 90s, so 5-string basses hadn't caught on all that much then.

LaRue touches on theory, exercises and drills , slap and pop. The video also has a better-than-average booklet accompanying it that shows what LaRue covers on the tape. You could learn a lot from the booklet even if you don't watch the tape.

I bought it when I was just a beginner. The tape seemed very advanced for me, but I kept watching it and dug it out every few months. In a year it no longer seemed so advanced and I was better able to appreciate all that LaRue covers. I have bought several videos, but this one is one of the best of the lot.