Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Larue. Who is he?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 19, 2003.

1. I was recently looking in the summer bass course catalogue and in one of the classes it said Dave Larue would be a special guest. I was just wondering who is he? What band(s) has he played for or is in?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I saw him play with Steve Vai at G3 in 2001. That guy is amazing.

I can't belive that I actually said that. Billy Sheehan was with vai and Stu Hamm was with Satch. I am a moron. :bawl:

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    He's co-owner of Bass Central too I think.

5. Checked out the site and :eek: I cant believe ive never heard of him before, His clips were awesome, Really good Thumb Styler. I gotta buy that CD!!

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Also, send Gard a PM.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Who are you telling that to Jazzbo?

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A slight correction - LaRue backed Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci during the 2001 G3 tour, although I'm sure he participated in the "encore" jams.

I saw Dave in 2000 as part of the Dregs, and walked away awestruck. He's also amazing on "Live In Oz" by Planet X.

...and I've heard he loves the ladies. ;)

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Is it true he stares at his hands in awe sometimes? I read that somewhere else around here...I think that's pretty funny if true (not in a bad way) :)

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out the Steve Morse Band. It's his main project AFAIK.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had the good fortune of opening up for Steve Morse w/ Dave Larue on bass back around 1989 or so in Cleveland. Got to hang with him in the dressing room pre-show for quite awhile, he spends ALOT of time warming up/practicing with a little combo amp in the dressing room. It was essentially a lesson for me. Got my picture taken with him as well, both of us sitting side-by-side with basses in hand (I need to look for that pic!).

Not only is he a true world-class player, he's a terrific guy, super nice.

I was playing a Kubicki Ex-Factor at the time. He spent a few minutes with it, and he said it was . . . well, let's just say he said it wasn't the bass for him . . .

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    maybe im missing something, but his playing doesnt do anything for me.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The Johnnie Cochran guy whos started this thread.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A MOFO of a bassists! I walked into Bass Central one day and heard this guy giving this Music Man whut fer! I asked Gard, "Who, no, WHAT is that?!"
    His reply: "Oh, that's just Dave."

15. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    yeah Dave is definitley speedy. He's gonna be playing on John Petrucci's solo album with Dave Dicenso on drums (the best drummer in the world) that might be a decent album. I like how John didn't use any dream theatre guys on his solo album. didn't wanna take them away from their dungeons and dragons game I'd imagine. I'm pretty sure I saw him with the dixie dregs. I'd tell you how blown away I was but the Jon Finn group opened with Joe Santerre on bass and he really knocked me out. but Dave definitley has some chops you should check him out. go take the classes

16. :mad: JOHNNIE COCHRAN!!!! ITS I-AM-ERIC-COCHRANE, IM WHITE FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!! AHHHH

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've seen Dave LaRue many times, the last of which was with G3.
    Stu Hamm played with Satriani.
    Billy Sheehan played with Vai.
    Dave LaRue played with Petrucci.
    I've seen all three of these bass players on different occasions, but I must say that on this particular night Dave LaRue moved me more than the others, he was great!

18. wow that would have been quite the night, three bass-gods with three guitar-gods, I'd have loved to seen that one.