Dave Mathews Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Anyone here like them? I saw this thing on VH1 called Storytellers. It's just a band (in this case Dave Mathews) playing a concert and talking about the music/band/stories in between songs. This was the first time I got to hear a lot of their stuff and I was really impressed. Even if Dave Mathews is kinda funny looking and makes really wierd faces when he sings, I was really diggin the music. Anyone here a fan, or can anyone reccomend some good songs by them?
  2. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    I was a big fan for a long time actually. I'd reccomend listening to "Before these Crowded Streets" (darker best album IMO), then listen to "Crash" (practically every song you heard on the radio by them plus great other ones). Then once your ready to have your face melted get into their live stuff. Right around 94 is what I'd reccomend. Try out "Live in Chicago" it has some killer guest appearances on it, example: Victor Wooten. Its an amazing cd, and video if your a bit crafty...

Be careful with getting into them though, you have a lot of back tracking to do before being dissappointed by their new album, and then growing to eventually like it.
  3. i really like them...my favorite songs are crash, 41, two step, don't drink the water, and i also have been digging DM's solo album with grave digger on it...
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I still love Under the Table and Dreaming a lot as well. Their newest album didnt catch me really, but all the others I liked. The newer stuff took a little while to grow on me, while the first 3-4 albums caught my attention immediatly. I have like 18 DMB records, some bootlegs, some radio promo stuff, and they are still one of the most original pop bands to hit the scene for me in some time. Musically, every member of the band is top notch in their field, and I've never seen a band play with as much joy and energy as these guys. Not many bands nowadays sound as good live as studio, but DMB is an exception to that I think.
  5. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Juneau I totally agree. Dave is some of the most interesting singing and playing out there (you wanna learn to sing and play together well, try some dmb), Carter is the best drummer I've heard, point blank, seriously the best, Lessard is solid, not too complicated but groovy, LeRoy and Tinsley compliment everybody (including eachother). Powerful stuff by top notch musicians.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Great band, the drummer is technically fantastic but overplays more than any drummer I've ever heard in my life. He's ridiculous. Stefan the bass player's musicality makes up for the out of control drumming. Dave's songwriting is good. Good band. My favorite album is "Everyday" because the music is poppy and concise,and the drummer is reigned in for the most part, proving he really can play great when he puts his mind to it. Much of the music can be very meandering, but that's the point of the jam band. A good place to start would be their live albums because they're so strong live.
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've always thought of Carter as a busy drummer, but I would not say he overplays personally. Everything he plays fits, and his cymbal work seems to float on top of the tunes, rather than drown them out. I think a lot of people that might try to play this way would sound like they were overplaying, but I always considered him a master of playing a lot, and not getting in the way doing it. I believe Victor Wooten had similar comments in the DVD they did together. Just my opinion though :)
  8. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I was never really a fan, but the poop-dumping incident sealed it for me. They professed to be such earth loving group, and then they dump poopy on some tourists.

I know it's not Dave's fault per se, but I see poop when I look at them. :meh:
  9. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong

This is a great video of one of the performance w/ victor wooten.
  10. Thanks guys. I'm gonna check out their live stuff (that seems to be their best stuff). And the fact that they played with Wooten just lit a fire under my ass, so I'm gonna pick up that album ASAP.
    Thanks again, and keep it coming.
  11. JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Lister Supported is an awesome live album!!
  12. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Dave Matthews Band are great, my favourate songs have to be 'Grey Street' and 'The stone' .
  13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe, I knew somebody would mention that. Their older stuff is alright, never was a big fan though. Always thought that Carter should have ditched those guys and started his own band...
  14. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    ^^ I'm so glad he didn't. I don't think he could've found someone with the technical song writing skill that Dave has, or someone that could nearly match his stage presence. I think if Dave and Carter never met we would never had heard of either of them.

But oh, MikeyFingers, although there recordings with Wooten are amazing, when they play with Bela its unreal. Theres only a couple shows out there, and there are ones where Bela plays for like half the show, those are amazing listens.
  15. I am a huge Dave Matthews Band fan, hence my moniker. Personally, I think Carter is an amazing drummer. I also love Dave's songwriting. If you like their style, theres nothing better. IMO, the two best live albums are Central Park, then the new 8 disc show from Red Rocks that just came out.

My favorite songs would probly be #41, #34, Grey Street, Crush, The Stone, Dont Drink the Water, Crash Into Me, Tripping Billies...pretty much anything from them. I do agree that the new album isnt the greatest, but its much, much better when you hear those songs live. Especially songs like American Baby Intro and Dreamgirl.

So yeah, theyre my favorite band.

Big Whoop, wanna fight about it? :D

16. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm a pretty big fan of theirs, I know most of their songs. Some of my faves are Rapunzel, Everyday/#36, Drive In Drive Out, The Dreaming Tree, The Stone, Typical Situation, Warehouse, Stay, and I also kinda like Sleep to Dream Her. It's really not in the same direction as the other tunes, but I still like it. I find their last studio album to be over-produced. The songs are good, but it's kinda played in a mechanical non-flowing-non-davematthews-esque kind of way, which is what I don't like about it. Live, it's good stuff though. They put on a solid show.
  17. Yes it is! One of my absolute favorite albums.

I really dig the band as well. They have so much musicianship in their songs. I'm glad to see that in todays music scene.

I have most of their albums. I'm gonna pick up the 8 disc box set soon.

I need to make it out to a show!
  18. You wont be disappointed. Awesome box set. :)

I too need to make it out to a show. Supposedly my band is going to get some backstage passes because we know the Vice President (maybe?) of RCA or Sony Music or someplace. Anyways, we have connections, but just havent had them do a show near us yet.
  19. Cool!

I don't have an excuse as they play a few different shows within just a few hours of me. I need to get out to one soon!

I hope you're able to go backstage. That would be amazing!

And I must echo what someone said about Carter playing alot but not sounding like he is. He really plays the role of a percussionist and a drummer. His cymbal and hi-hat work is among the absolute best out there.
  20. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Carter had his own band. Several, actually. He was a school teacher who played semipro on the side until he hooked up with Dave and company.

He is a busy player, but sort of in the same manner that Antonio Sanchez (Pat Metheny) or any hard bop influenced drummer might be called a busy player. He has a solid fusion background and that was what Dave Matthews specifically was looking for when he asked Carter to play with him. That facet of the band has won them many fans and works very well with Dave and Stefan's styles.