Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Mathews Band??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 21, 2000.

1. what is the dave mathews band's best cd??

2. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by basserman44:
    what is the dave mathews band's best cd??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO I'd say "Under the table and dreaming"

------------------
    insert somthing funny here

3. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    I think they're best one is Crash. But they're all good.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by basserman44:
    what is the dave mathews band's best cd??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly think that as far as musical depth goes, Before These Crowded Streets is the best. The production is head over heels better than on the other two recordings, and the sophistication of the compositions is on a higher level. Another thing I noticed is that the band has more of an edge on this album. Not quite as uppity and happy sounding. That's not a bad quality to have by any means, but I hear a more mature DMB on that album.

Check 'em all out, but this one is the best, IMHO.

------------------
    -Bryan White
    BCWhite@BullDog.UNCA.EDU

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout LIVE AT RED ROCKS?

About their production...I not real thrilled by the separation(mix?)on their cds; IMO, the Lessard's bass is kinda buried/blurred.

6. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JazznFunk:
    I honestly think that as far as musical depth goes, Before These Crowded Streets is the best. The production is head over heels better than on the other two recordings, and the sophistication of the compositions is on a higher level. Another thing I noticed is that the band has more of an edge on this album. Not quite as uppity and happy sounding. That's not a bad quality to have by any means, but I hear a more mature DMB on that album.

Check 'em all out, but this one is the best, IMHO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you about this, but for me, Crash is a more enjoyable experience. I didn't even like Before... that much when it came out. Turns out, it was over my head a little bit. It took me two years to catch up with Dave and appreciate the album. But there's something about Crash that keeps it my favorite. Maybe it was that passionate performance of Say Goodbye from the MTV Crashing the Quarter special. I don't know, but there's something.

And I agree with Jim that Stefan Lessard is not put far enough up in the mix. He's a good player.

7. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    "Under the Table and Dreaming" for godsakes, it got a grammy (didn't it?)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Because it got a Grammy?! A POPularity contest?! PUH-LEEZ!
    Actually, 'cause I live in Va, most of the stuff on that release was already available on a couple DMB "local" cds.
    DMB's best moments are LIVE.

47th Street likes this.
  9. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hard to pick one, but I'd probably slightly lean towards "Before These Crowded Streets"...the metrical fun of The Dreaming Tree, the simplicity of Stay, the wide open phatness of Don't Drink The Water, the hugeness of Rapunzel...yeah..."Crowded Streets."

FWIW, I agree, too, that Lessard is a fantastic player, even if he admits that he's relatively new to the instrument, but the interplay of himself, Dave's guitar parts, and most fun to listen to: Carter Beauford's amazing percussion. All those elements combined make for a fun musical listening experience.

-GM