Dave Matthews Band - what are some of the better albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. What are some of the better non-live albums from Dave Matthews?

2. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    The first 3 have Stefan's best stuff, IMO. Both his lines and tone.

3. ^ Thanks. Best albums overall, or bass focused?

4. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Crash is actually pretty good (sometimes popular music and good music do actually line up). Check out Carter's percussion on "Drive In, Drive Out".

Also, depending on where you stand on getting mp3's that "fell off the back of the truck", the so-called "Lillywhite Sessions" set is really good.

5. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    My fave is Before These Crowded Streets. Has some deeper, darker stuff in addition to Dave's "standard fare". My wife's a big DMB fan, so I've heard them all. But, ...Crowded Streets is my go to.

6. Always thought Dave Mathews was less about albums and more about live stuff.

But if you like the Dave Mathews you've heard so far, a good studio album is... A Picture Of Nectar :bag:

7. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Dave used to play at a bar on the edge of my neighborhood every tuesday, before he put the band together. Was really cool seeing him in that setting, just him and his acoustic. After he assembled the band, my buddy's reggae band used to open for them locally.

8. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    I personally think anything up to and including Busted Stuff is good. After that, their sound changed fairly drastically and they picked up a lot of zydeco flavor that I didn't really care for. I will say though, my recommendation is to pick up the Central Park Concert. It's live, but also fantastic.

9. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Big fan here. Go crash if you are new to them. Then get before these crowded streets and download the lillywhite sessions. If you can't find the lillywhite sessions, it's basically the busted stuff album more or less. Check out Luther college, it's just Dave and Tim, two guitars no bass. Good cd to hear the songs.

10. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Before These Crowded Streets was, to me, the pinnacle of their live/studio aesthetic converging. Stefan sounds great throughout the whole album, and it's a wonderful tapestry of styles. I also thought his tone was at its best when he stuck with Warwick mainly. The whole sound of the band changed for the worse with the 'Everyday' album in my opinion. Carter's drum sound, which was a big draw for me, seemed to lose its character on later albums, particularly his snare sound.

I loved the Lillywhite Sessions bootleg, and thought 'Busted Stuff' was a decent reworking of those original tunes from that session.

11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    easily Before these Crowded Streets.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Remember Two Things...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021