1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Meros's Fendenbacker

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CGremlin, Oct 11, 2018.

1. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    So I just bought the Blu-Ray of Spock's Beard's performance of "Snow" in 2016 (amazing show, BTW), and watching Dave Meros got me to thinking about something. A few years back, Dave started using a Fender Jazz-style neck on his custom white Ed Roman-built, Rickenbacker-derived, 4-pickup bass, and I was wondering if anyone knew why he changed out the original neck on the instrument. Of course it still sounds amazing, but the pairing of the Rick-shaped body with a Jazz headstock and maple board is pretty different.

Maybe Dave is a TBer and is willing to chime in? ;)

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have the same concert on Blu-ray. Not too sure about his decision on building the bass, but Dave's playing and tone is stellar as usual...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    CGremlin likes this.
  3. dmeros

dmeros

Jan 22, 2013
    Hi CGremlin - It's a whole new bass. I made the body myself and bought the neck on eBay. Full Contact Hardware bridge, Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks, Hipshot tuners, switchable stereo/mono output. Two pickups are where pre-75 Ric pickups go, the other two are approximately where Fender P/J pickups would go.

BassToGoGo and CGremlin like this.
  4. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks so much for the reply, Dave! Your "Meros Special" sounds great! I've got a 4-string counterfeit Chinese Jazz that I don't really play, and have been thinking about busting out the router and putting another pair of pickups in the Rickenbacker position with a switch to go between the two pairs. More or less exactly what your setup is, because I think it'd be awesome to have both tones on a single bass. If that works out well, I may do it on my 5-string Jazz as well.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021