Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Mustaine remasters entire Megadeth catalog!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SlavaF, Aug 14, 2004.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It seems Dave Mustaine has outdone himself again by remixing and remastering every Megadeth album (except for Killing Is My Business, which is already remastered, and their 2001 CD The World Needs A Hero, which I don't really care for anyway)! I bought the remastered RUST IN PEACE yesterday, and my jaw was on the floor when Holy Wars kicked in! :eek: Megadeth never really had a very good overall sound, but now that Dave has taken complete control, it sounds amazing! Hangar 18 sounds nothing short of lethal, and pretty much every song sounds so alive and energetic now. Unfortunately, Dave's flawless vocal part to Take No Prisoners dissapeared, forcing him to re-record a vocal track, which sounds nowhere near as good as the original. But I can live with that, since TNP sounds amazing otherwise.

As well, every CD comes with a few bonus tracks - RIP includes a short unreleased track, "My Creation", and the demo versions of Rust In Peace, Holy Wars and Take No Prisoners (none of which are particularly good, but it's interesting to see the progress).

Anyway, if you have the originals, I would still reccomend buying the remasters. The quantum leap in sound quality is worth it.

And plus, now you can hear the bass! :D

Oh yeah, one more thing. The new Megadeth album, The System Has Failed, will be out on September 14! :hyper: Too bad about David Ellefson leaving though, he was a great fit for 'Deth.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    "Too bad about David Ellefson leaving though, he was a great fit for 'Deth."

It's really sad that the departure between Dave and Dave was under bad circumstances. Dave Elfson was there from the beginning, and I believe the only one to be from the original line up.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'm stoked! Rust In Peace is my favorite speed metal album of all time :bassist:

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I actually found a link that says Ellefson sued Mustaine for $18.5 MILLION because Mustaine didn't hand over the Megadeth name and merchandising rights and stuff to Ellefson when he "quit" in 2002. Plus Ellefson wanted a ton of money, more than he's ever gotten for working on an album, so looks like they got a new bassist (I don't recall the name). AFAIK, Ellefson was in Megadeth from the beginning - he recorded bass for Killing Is My Business, and I think he was the first bassist that Mustaine recruited, but I'm not 100% sure. He was awesome too... the remastering lets you hear all the bass, and a lot of his previously unheard lines and fills are just awesome... that guy knew what sounded good!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I had all my Megadeth CDs stolen a long time ago: I think now is the time to get 'em back! :bassist: :bassist:

Kick ass.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    see, this is annoying to me. I already paid for the crappily mastered versions! I wish they had a trade in special or something. If anyone has the gumption to post a comparison mp3 from peace sells or rust in peace I'd be very grateful. just a sample from a track, not to steal it or anything.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, sucks to be you, current owner of Megadeth CDs! :spit: :D

Yeah, I got the same deal with the enhanced version of Tales from The Punchbowl. Lousy, no crazy crappy music videos for all songs.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe I'll steal yours! :eek:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

The Endless circle of Megadeth theivery continues. :scowl:

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Just heard some of the Mega remixes yesterday. Drums are waaay more in front and sound better overall. Most of it just sounded "better" than the original CD. But, I think the remasters were to bring the Mega CDs in line with how many new metal (not nu-metal) bands sound.

While the drums definitely sounded better, the added intros and other changes remind me of the alterations made to the original Star Wars trilogy when they were remastered. Some stuff should've been left alone.

But, this is all IMHO, I only listened to pieces from the remix CDs for the first time yesterday. I'm sure they would grow on me over time.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    As for comparisons, I downloaded the remastered Good Mourning/Black Friday, and it sounded absolutely KILLER, but it seems that all the links to it are broken, and/or they took it off the net. :oops:

12. a friend who works at Sanctuary told me about this- Ellefson was asking for a bigger cut than his previous 20%.

the new bassist is Jimmy Lee Sloas, who I remember was mentioned in a BP feature on Christian bassists.

Dave Mustaine posted a rant on his forum that he was "unsure of nick menza's ability" now, so was using Vinnie Colaiuta, and on the last 3 albums the producers had suggested getting a session bassist in instead of Ellefson.
    - quite a contrast with Mustaine's praise for Ellefson on the Rude Awakening DVD interview :meh:

I can imagine Rust in peace and Peace sells... will benefit a lot from remixing-
    both of those albums sounded thin and reverbed-out.

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    He questioned Nick Menza's ability??? ***, I thought the drumming was absolutely top notch on Rust In Peace, as well as CTE and CW! But I still think Jimmy DeGrasso was better playing the old stuff on Rude Awakening, even though TWNAH and Risk sucked IMO.

And plus why didn't Mustaine continue on with Al Pitrelli? He was f***ing amazing on RA, it's a shame to get rid of him so fast.

But then again, as long as The System Has Failed is a great Megadeth record, then I don't really care who plays on it! :bassist:

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, i thought rust in peace sounded great the way it was. can't wait to get the new version.

15. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Rust in piece was my favorite album by megadeth too, dont really wanna buy a new one though.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as the remix didn't mess up "Waiting in the Breadline".........love that song in its original version/mix.

Megadeath is amazing - When I was in a band that did a national tour, it was always a rite to put your name(s) on the john walls in the clubs.
    It was absolutely incredible how many club restroom walls Megadeath had signed!!!!! They've been everywhere!

17. yep Rust= best deth' album. I will be keeping an eye open for the new remaster. I liked the line up with friedman better than other combinations.

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, same. The included demos on the RIP remaster with Chris Poland doing solos were absolutely horrible IMO, he sounded like a cheap 80s keyboard! I just hope the solos on TSHF are good... :hyper:

19. Yep, Paid!