1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Peacock out of Chas and Dave

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Here's one that only the Brits here might recognise. Dave Peacock, the Dave in Chas n Dave, famous for their cockney knees-up singalongs, like "Rabbit", "Gertcha" and "There Ain't No Pleasing You". Your views on him as a bassist? For what it's worth he seems to have a good time groove that fits in perfectly with the songs, about nagging wives, beer, grandads and West Ham (the football team not the place that is).

2. i wonder if he's any relation to Gary Peacock

3. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    apparently he had the first ever P-bass that was imported into the uk after the trade restrictions ended

cheers
    Lucy

4. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    The famous story about Chas & Dave is that they were sampled by Eminem for 'my name is . . .' They were session musicans on a Labi Siffre song that he used.

Also, they're not cockneys, neither of them is even from London :)

5. browner

browner

Jul 22, 2006
    London
    And you wouldn't catch them singing about West Ham, they're ardent Tottenham fans! He is great though, does anybody know what the lever he has on the head of his bass does? It's baffled me for years!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Sorry the music is too awful to even consider the merits of the bass playing - it's just a case of sticking fingers in ears whenever it comes around!!

Truly awful!!

7. I was never quite sure who was Chas and who was Dave (Ant and Dec of their age). Now I know.

I was always pleasantly suprised by his playing, good pick technique, adventurous in a kinda pentatonic boogie way, quite classy actually - and he sang!

I remember him playing G&L.

Actually I'm sitting not two hundred yards from the site of their old pub, the Pegasus, which had a music room out back (I remember playing it once).

8. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Chas Hodges is from Edmonton, and has very good Rock and Roll credentials.
    Dave Peacock grew up around the corner from me in Enfield and used to play in the Grumbleweeds, a comedy band.

Ah, The Pegasus: Big Chief, Mickey Jupp, Balham Aligators, Juice on the Loose etc. Happy days.

So Twodinners, small world innit?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That about sums up his career! :p

10. Dave also played with "Head, Hands & Feet" alongside Albert Lee playing on, among other stuff, 'Country Boy'

11. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - you're wrong there - in fact it was Chas Hodges who played bass with Head hands and Feet on the track Country Boy - not Dave!! :p

hhf2.jpg

Personnel:
    Tony Colton - vocals
    Pete Gavin - drums
    Chas Hodges - bass
    Albert Lee - guitar
    Mike O'Neill - keyboards
    Ray Smith - guitar

12. Scrapster

Scrapster

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm going to wake up an old thread!

Check this out (and skip to 2:20 if you're impatient!)

I kinda like his style. But then I am a Londoner through & through!

Steve Boisen likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021