Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pegg

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I just heard Surfeit of Lampreys by Fairport Convention, on which Dave pegg plays. Man, this track has such a groovey break towards the start. :bassist: Is it true this guy is reckoned to be one of the best bassists ever?

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i saw Fairport Convention at Caffé Lena in Saratoga Springs, NY two or three years ago. he borrowed my amp! (fender bassman 60)

fun band, cool bassist

3. My dad googled him today, is that a warwick or a spector he's using?

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    According to the January/February 1994 "Bass Player" article on him and his son Matt (who was playing in Procol Harum as well as subbing for Dad in Jethro Tull occasionally when Dave's Fairport Convention obligations came up) Dave was using "for several years"...

An Ibanez five-string. So much for the idea that they can't be "professional" instruments. :rollno: (To his credit, in the BP photo Dave's using an SR-1305, perhaps on the best basses Ibanez has ever produced... as well as Fieldy's main bass and the basis of his signature model. Yet more shock and horror! ;))

Google Image searching his name, however, brings up several photos of a late 80's/early 90's Ibanez SR-800 and 1305 (you can tell by the slanted neck pup and the painted vs. the 1305's Padauk top), a StingRay 5, and what appears to be most recently a newish sunburst American Fender Jazz five-string.

No Warwicks or Spectors to the best of my knowledge. It's not law, you know. Yet. ;)

5. It was definetly an NS shaped bass. I think there was also a pic of him with an Infinity.

6. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    3 year bump... (& hijack)

So my keyboard player, who is in many tribute bands besides mine, calls me today and asks if he can borrow my bass for his "once or twice" a year thing he does with a Jethro Tull tribute act. He says that Dave Pegg will be playing the show with them and he wants a 5 string to play. I guess he doesn't have his own bass because he is traveling with his acoustic act (PJ Wright). I'm sorry to say, I never heard of him since I never really got deeply into Tull. Anyways, I usually never do this, but after reading up on him he seems like an acomplished & respected musician who doesn't seem the type beat a bass up and disrespect it. Since I can't make the show (of course, I'd get in free), I'm torn as to whether to do it or not. My keyboard player is playing and is there to keep an eye on it, so that helps some. Advice??

Link to the show in question:

http://www.universerecords.com/index1.html

7. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
  8. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm leaning towards letting him play it. I don't know if I want any autograph on it though!:)

9. Kozmyk

Kozmyk

Feb 6, 2009
    I actually have one of Dave Pegg's old Ibanez'.
    I got it through a friend of his son Matt.

After much searching and questioning I've discovered that it's an SR05.
    A key identifying feature is the bridge.
    The saddles are on threaded stalks.
    It was modified for Dave quite a bit.

It has EMG J-Type pickups with 6-pole Strat type pickups mounted beneath them as hum-cancellers, sort of Alembic style.
    They're not supposed to alter the tone but I've never disconnected them to find out. ;)
    The orignal Ibanez circuit has been retained
    There's a master volume pot set into the back plate.
    It was defretted mid Jethro Tull tour in the US after Ian Anderson introduced a song into the tour set that he wrote with Steve Bailey.
    The fret slots have been filled with a light coloured hardwood, probably maple.

It sounds SOooo sweet.
    I love it and will probably part part with it.

It came to me with La Bella Deep Talkin' round-wounds on it and that's what I've kept on it so far.
    They're getting harder to find in a 5-string set these days.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Dave Pegg plays a Crafter five string now.