Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pike

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by hotdbass, Mar 26, 2004.

1. I played a three hour set with vibes master Dave Pike last night . He is just a unbelivable player, still going strong at age 65. ( I'm 55 so there is still hope).During our first break we talked about the many bassists he worked with over the years, such Paul Chambers, Scott Lafaro, and Charlie Haden. He told a funny story about when him ,Bill Evans and Scotty were recording one of his albums, how difficult it was at first to "lock in" because Scotty's counterpoint playing was "all over the place" whereas, PC and Charlie we more staright ahead, "four to the floor" players. But with that being said, we bass players appreciate Scott Lafaro's playing in those years early years and know he changed the the "place of bass" as we know it.

After our break was over and we went back on the stage I was playing a little of both styles, and Dave smiled.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's very cool; haven't heard that name in years. Good to know he's still out there.