Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NYBassMan, Oct 19, 2003.

1. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    i'm ordering a Dave Pushic custom. Any feedback from you wonderful people.

tony

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    congratulations :bassist:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here we go again.

That's my feedback, and I'm sticking with it.

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    post a link...or something.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Seems to me like a lot of pretty new ones come up for sale.

I remember a recent thread titled "I got a Good DP" or some such. I believe that ones sold or for sale too.

6. Tony if you do a search, you'll find about 38 threads on this topic!

THREAD #1

THREAD # 2

THREAD # 3

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Dave is a very nice guy.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Oh Munji, you are so honest. It's great. :D

I actually laughed out loud to this post. :D

9. Seen/heard lots of mixed reviews. VERY mixed. From "he built my dream bass, it's wonderful" to "sloppy careless work, the bass is almost unacceptable"...

Personally, I have seen more than enough (and one would already have been enough) bad reviews to stay away.

It would be interesting to see by how much the good DP experiences outweigh the bad experiences. Maybe I'll start a thread about that...

10. WELCOME TO TB!

I just noticed this was your first post.

Try the search function next time. It may surprise you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    This is incredibley irritating. I want a custom, and I dont want to spend more than $2000.00. That's even pushing it honestly. I think i'm going to give him an honest try..unless any of you have a better luthier that can match his prices. I'll put it to you this way. I front a Primus cover band that gigs somewhat often. My dream bass would be Carl Thompson obviously, and I see that this Darrin Huff makes basses quite similar to Carls. I'm open to any suggestions any of you may have. Thanks for your time.

Tony

THE LOW END SCRUB

12. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    you can get a far superior quality used instrument for under $2000...There are so many options to choose from if you go used. From what I've read and from talking to people with firsthand DP experience ,it's just not worth the risk.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa there, hoss! www.fbbcustom.com

Custom 6 (or 4/5 if that's your bag. I assume 6 if you're doing Primus tunes) bangers with a LOT of options for about $1650. More if you get nutty with the options and woods.

I've played them, and they absolutely destroy, in the best possible way. Trust me, there's nothing but positive stuff for Matt Schmill (FBB)'s work. Do a search... they kick booty. Plus Matt's a killer guy to deal with. I'd own one if I didn't need this college education.

But they might not be for everyone.

Imaculate work, though.

Also Chris Stambaugh makes basses for $2000 or less (2k for an NT 6er). That's the base price, but I hear that there almost NO opitions that incur and upcharge. Woods, pickups, hardware...no matter the combination, same price.

www.stambaughdesigns.com

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was going to suggest the FBBs, too, but Brendan beat me to it. They are quite nicer than the DPs I've seen, and as far as I know, Matt has always gotten it right the first time, not the 3rd or 4th. Excellent options, excellent to deal with, and most importantly, excellent basses.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    may as well follow suit here.
    I own 4 FBB's and will commission more or grab used ones where I see them. I think he's the best deal around for a decently priced custom.

I thought about a DP originally because the price looks appealing at first, but am happy that I took a chance w/ FBB.

I wouldn't normally plug a luthier in a thread about another builder, but since the thread-starter asked...

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You might want to see if Karl Hoyt is taking new orders. I had him build a neck for my Warmoth body and he did a great job. I've now ordered an oddball 6-string from him. There are many happy customers of his around the Internet. Most notably Bob Gollihur is a big fan of his.

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're into CT basses, then you MUST check out an Eshenbaugh! Mark makes great basses that are inspired by Carl's approach to bass building, but he puts his own unique spin on things.

18. I would also recommend FBB. There is a 6 on his inventory page for $1350. It looks to be a killer bass and you would be hard pressed to find a better bass for the money. It is #P044-01.

Geoff

19. Are the DP's really hit and miss....with more to the miss side of things????

[​IMG]
    Treena