Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I was considering buying a Dave Pushic bass, and was just wondering what the craftmenship, playability, looks, etc. were like from someone who has played one or owns one.

Thanks

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Do a search on Dave Pushic and DP Custom and you'll find 30-40 threads on this subject and his work. The moderators might even lock this thread soon because this topic has been beaten to death.

I own one so PM me and I'll be happy to share with you my impressions on the bass he built me and my dealings with him.

Jon

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Only if it ceases to be a constructive discussion!

4. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    I own one as well and I would be happy to share. PM me and I will answer all that I can.

5. Why PM, most people are willing to share their experiences with their bass out in the open?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

+1 this is "Talk" bass not "PM" bass

7. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    I did not want to open up a can of worms that TBer's have already beat into the ground. :rollno:

The fact is "I love my DP Custom". And I don't have to defend something that everyone has already deemed junk or garbage. What works for me may not work the same for someone else.

The DP Custom that I have came out exactly as I requested. Now it's my primary bass and there are no plan to replace it or substitute.

The Tber's that have good things to say are always out numbered and ganged up on by the ones that have bad things to say about them. Most of the ones that have bad things to say have never even touched one. They are going strickly on hear-say and not facts.

Yes I did the search and read all the threads. In all the cases it starts with one persons negative comments about his or her individual situation. Then it explodes out of control. I'm not trying to start this cycle all over again. :scowl:

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't own one. I've never played one. The reports I've read on talkbass indicate shoddy construction and poor customer service.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually i recall that many if not most of the people that comment of DP owned at one point a DP, Very few that i know of still own them. If you love yours then more power to ya !

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It would be better if DP owners shared their experiences in public. But in their defense, I can see why they hesitate. In my non-partisan opinion, DP and Wish threads attract a lot of negative comments from those who have never owned or even touched one of those instruments.

I'm all in favor of people sharing negative experiences, but the mob mentality (which, despite the moderators' best efforts, sometimes gets heated) can make it difficult to air the opposing view. We've seen this before on the flip side: for instance, when someone posts a negative experience about a popular brand such as Sadowsky or MTD: simple disagreement can sometimes be treated as 'bashing'.

Certainly, I mean no disrespect towards Talkbass, its mods, or its users. This is still one of the greatest communities on the net! But "stuff happens" even in the closest of families.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ok i'll play.

The very first truly "custom" bass i ordered was a DP

Nothing outlandish.

Here are the problems my bass arrived with:

body core was different thickness on both wings
    loose knot in the cocobolo fingerboard
    crooked nut
    1/8 gap under the nut between the nut and headstock
    very sloppy scarf joint
    pickups routs that were eneven
    side dots were off in a couple of places.
    rough finish

before i got it he crackde the fb and had to replace it then something happened and he had to saw off one side of the bass... at that point i wanted my monye back but he assured me everything would be fine.

not gonna bash him...this is just my experience.

12. Cool. Just state fact as you experienced them. This post might live past today if everyone posts in this fashion.

13. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I offered Scottbass16 the PM option because after reading MANY threads on Wish and, in this case Dave, I assumed it might possible get shut down early since they almost alway end up that way after much bashing. But hey, let's see how long it lasts...

My two cents in a nutshell...
    I have owned my bass for two years now.
    NEGATIVE
    1) Waited 13 months for it when web site claimed a 18-22 week wait.
    2) I went with Poly finish and swirl marks are VERY visible in the finish.
    3) Looking down the fretboard shows several peaks and valleys making intonation and playablity a huge issue.
    4) Bass is thicker than I want (my fault for not specifying a thickness) and this lends itself to the weight (heavy).
    5) Even though I knew it wasn't going to be an Alembic quality bass and I don't consider myself a picky guy, the lack of attention to detail that I expected for the money I spent (just under $900) is disappointing.
    6) I'm either going to sell it OR I'm going to modify the body style and attempt to level and re-fret the board myself.
    POSITIVE
    1) Dave ALWAYS responded to emails PROMPTLY (even during the time when his father died).
    2) He considered any changes I requested (which were few).
    3) He offers to fix anything that I'm not happy with (which I'm not going to take him up on - he didn't do it right the first time so...)

Would I order from him again - not at all. I'd save up and have a better luthier build one.

Jon

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have absolutely no comment on this topic.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    one DP that I think was originally Jeff Rader's, floated around to a couple shops here in the Atlanta area...

...ummm, what Munj said.

:bag:

16. Dave did a wonderful job on my bass. I have heard the good and bad....I can only speak of mine. There are no issues with this bass, and Dave was a pleasure to work with....Gene.

Attached Files:

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

wow...just..wow. That is a pretty bass. From all the threads I read, though, he's hit and miss. The prices are nice, and it seems he's getting better..this bass and another bass in another thread came out quite nice. I also saw that he's a poster here (nothing as of late though...I wonder if he didn't like what was being said) Anyway, as it seems his work is improving, I might go down his route and get one of his basses since they are affordable. I originally thought of going Wish...but these are a lot nicer in comparison.

18. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Not to get off topic but that is a monster bridge. I have never seen one like it before...what brand is it and why so elaborate?

MK

19. I wanted very wide string spacing (.822) The bridge I used is a Kahler. It is totally adjustable, especially for wide string spacing. Keep in mind that neck width plays a factor in this setup also.....Gene.