Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 7, 2001.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Has anyone ever played/seen/owned one? They sound really nice but I have no idea how they are. How do they compare sound/weight/feel to run-of-the-mill "corporate" basses?

www.dpcustom.com

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    It's a legit question...
    I'll see if I can get some of my past customers to stop by here and comment.

Dave P.
    DP Custom Basses
    www.dpcustom.com

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I sure wish I had known about Dave when I laid out over a grand for a "pseudo-custom" bass last fall.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im happy that someone mentioned Dave...
    I was thinking of getting a Stingray 5
    Now.. I will get my Custom Pushic "Omega Bass" !!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ifa - If you do, please keep us posted on it. I think there are others besides me who'd like to know about your experience.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Of course!
    Most people would neglect the fact that maybe Dave Pushic is at the same level as Sadowsky, Lakland , Curbow , or any other manufacturer because of the price he choosed to charge to his customers.

Aso soon as everything on the design of my bass is finished , and I get the rest of the money I need , I will order it .. AS I WANT IT TO BE and nothing less... and went its finished and shipped... I will comment on my personal feelings on the bass. Then I will take it to my uncle (wich owns 3 Fodera´s , Modulus, Warwicks, etc) and tell him to test it and analize it, and calculate the price he would expect to pay for a bass like that.

After all that process , and if the bass is real good, Im gonna post reviews for Dave Pushic on every site I know. If he stands up to the quality, I will try to push his sales.

I think is the least I can do for the guy that will make one of my dreams come true.

8. Dave's building one for me. Absolutely the most patient guy I know. I've changed fret sizes three times, scale length twice, number of strings twice, and let's not even talk about the pickups and preamp. That's because "talking" with someone like Dave stimulates a lot of thought about how you really want your bass to sound and feel, and also I'm learning a lot about what works and what doesn't. I have had a lot of player lore debunked by him and a lot of things explained. A real education. I think I've averaged one email exchange a day since I approached him about building a bass for me, about 6 weeks ago, and we address a half dozen issues in each one. I will tell you one thing, the bass concept I brought to him is nothing like what I'm going to end up with. My thinking has changed in lots of ways. For sure I know a lot more about myself as a player and what I'm trying to do on the bass, things I hadn't thought of before.

I was delivering an ancient empty Peavey 1x15 cabinet down to Marlon in Virginia Beach, and I'm so glad I did. I saw his Pushic on a stand in his living room and he invited me to play it. Even unplugged, it just sang to me. I am a dyed-in-the-wool P player, and I have suffered with dead spots and 20 frets for well over 30 years, and this bass just knocked me for a loop.

This was one of Dave's early basses, a 4-string with a one-piece maple through-neck and plain mahogany body wings. Light as a feather, all the notes sang, and what a rich sound. But it was amazingly authoritative, too. I have developed a very strong attack, although I don't necessarily hit the strings hard, just a lot of focus, and the bass knew what I wanted and put out that attack in spades. I like to feel like I'm playing "inside" a bass, like my fingers are kind of melting into the fretboard and strings, hard to describe, but the bass gave me more of that "connected" feel than I'd ever experienced. So I put my '57 P RI up for sale, what else could I do?

In about 5 or 10 years, I'll have some fun casually mentioning what Pushics cost in 2001--oh, and by the way, I bought mine back then.

9. Hi guys! I apologize up front as this will probably be a long post!!!
    I own two DP Custom basses...and they are the best basses I have played at any
    price! I started playing back in the early 70s, first with various elcheapos. The only
    one I remember is a Univox copy of a P bass. I graduated to a Fender P bass. I later added a
    Fender Jazz Bass and Then a Fender P bass with a fretless Jazz neck. I then added
    a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass. Disco and Djs sort of killed the need for bands,
    my interest dropped off and I quit playing for about 20 years. I picked up a Gibson
    Ripper bass. great feeling neck as I have small hands. But too neck heavy ...the balance is all wrong. Got rid of it. Finally found a fretless Samick by accident. Called an ad about
    some other bass. When I got there I didn't like it and asked the guy if he knew of
    any other basses for sale and he pulled this Samick out of his closet. Missing the
    electronics and pickups. But boy did it feel good!!

I bought and sold numerous other basses off of ebay nothing fretted felt right. Then
    I saw it, an auction on Ebay for a custom bass. It was neck thru which I had always wanted.
    I didn't know anything about the builder but said what the hell the price was right
    and thank God, because that is how I met Dave of DP Custom. That bass was delivered
    and I was happy for awhile. Then I emailed Dave and asked him if he could build one to my specs. He said sure. We emailed back and forth and finally came up with the bass Kurt saw and played. I had a P/J set of Alembic pickups and preamp and controls so I had Dave Build
    me a bass around them. Sort of a poor man's Alembic The best bass I have Played until the new one!!! The newest one is a Claro Walnut front with Honduran Mahogony back. The thru the body three piece neck: maple,walnut,maple is awesome!! Coupled with a Seymour Duncan
    Humbucking Musicman pickup at the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder Jazz pickup
    at the neck with an 18 volt Bartolini electronics package. Bass, midrange, treble, blend and
    vloume are the controls. It also has a three position switch for humbucker control...series,
    parallel and split. It has an active /passive switch and also a three position midrange
    center freq switch. This is the Rolls Royces of basses. It has every thing I have always wanted but never thought I could afford. You think you got tone???? This bass Has GOT TONE!!!
    Any tone you can think of. Any way He is very affordable. I got the necks as thin as I wanted them (small hands)

By the way I met Victor Wooten at a clinic he held in Norfolk Virginia Back in Sept of 2000.
    Got the chance to sit and talk with him. I had him slow down some of his licks and show me some of his techniques. He also autographed my first DP bass( with the Alembics) He also let me play his Fodera ($7,000) The bass was nice, but I like mine a whole lot more. Then again so much of Vic is just Vic. I think he could take two rubber bands and an old shoe box and outplay most of us!!!!!

A bass does not have to be heavy and cumbersome with necks like baseball bats to be good.
    These are light weight and just flat out...SING!! Anyway sorry again for this super long post
    but guys were asking and I thought they needed to hear the real deal from someone who
    is very satisfied. Feel free to email me with any questions.
    Keep it in the Groove!!!!!

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    On the Contrary!! Messages like that make me put more effort on getting my own.

11. I haven't played one yet but if they sound anything like one of those custom boutique basses or better I say go for it. I saw a link to Dave's website last week and sent him an inquiry about the cost of a custom bass with options that I specified. He quoted under $1000 for all this:
    4 string bass
    Kingwood over walnut body
    5 piece neck (bubinga/maple/wenge/m/b)
    wenge fingerboard
    Bartolini MM triple coil pickup + quad coil Jazz pu.
    Bartolini 3-band EQ
    Gotoh tuners (gold)
    HipShot d-tuner (gold)
    Piezo equipped gold bridge
    flushmount Dunlop straplocks
    35" scale
    side markers only
    Custom Shaped headstock

That's CRAZY. Too bad I just bought a new bass off Ebay. Looks like when I get some more money saved up my next bass will definitely be a DP.
    In the Meantime Here's my new bass.
    [​IMG]
    It's got different wood so just picture it with this, only a little darker.
    [​IMG]

12. Uh oh..
    G.A.S.!!!!!

13. Yeah, G.A.S., but as there is no cure for it, the best way to live with it (and enjoy it) is to have a bass built (I mean a true custom like a Pushic, not a lightly optioned standard), thinking over and working out the details over time, then waiting for it to arrive. Also, the post-acquisition G.A.S. relief period is longer because nobody has one like yours and you get to enjoy as people admire it much longer. And you have more to talk about (every little detail of every decision), then you can post your own web page all about it, whereas there's no point with a standard bass where the maker already has all the info online. The ordinary G.A.S. cycle is too short because you can just walk into a store and plunk down plastic and there it is, not much different from everyone else's. And if you didn't spend a mint (back to Pushics again), you have some cash left over for amp G.A.S., like that little Acme Low B-2 you always wanted to try--now you have an excuse, it's only "saved" money you're spending, right?

14. I agree wholeheartedly!!! I am biased slightly since I own two of them. But the post G.A.S.
    relief factor is definitely longer!!! I have sat in on blues gigs where even the drummer ( you know, the guys who hang out with musicians!) have commented on how good my Pushic with the Alembic pickups and electronics sounds. Some of the tone settings make it sound like a Grand piano. I can go into music stores now and not even go to the bass section. And when I do take a look there is nothing, I repeat Nothing in there that causes the slightest twinge of Got To Have It Itis. The closest I have come to heaven on earth are these DP Custom basses. By the way I am not getting anything form Dave for these glowing recommends. This is sincerely how I feel as a bass player who never thought I could afford a custom bass. I will put my newest...The Claro Walnut bass up against any bass you could buy at any price!
    Marlon

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    claro walnut is nice...

f

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, do you guys with the Pushics have any pics of your basses? I'd love to see some.

17. I think Marlon's got pics not only of the finished bass but also while it was being built.

18. Hey guys and gals...I will post some pix when I get home tonight. I have completed pix of the Pushic with the Alembics and I have pix of Dave building the Claro Walnut bass. I will have to take some pix and have developed of the Claro. I know, I know...I need a digital camera. But I am spending my money on Pushic basses just in case everybody starts swamping Dave with orders and his prices go way up and then I have to wait 6 months to a year. Oh, wait a minute that sounds like all those other bass builders and I really don't think Dave will EVER treat us poor bass players like that!!!!

Dave is a very straight forward guy, if you are considering buying a bass at all TALK to Dave first.

19. Hi guys and gals. I have not figured out how to put more than one picture at a time so here goes. By the way I used Adobe Photo Deluxe so if you have that you should be able
    to enlarge the pix for more detail.
    This is my first bass, with the Alembic pickups and electronics.

Help!!!
    Every time I try to attached a picture I get a message saying the file is too big. Any suggestions on how to do this. They are all jpegs.
    Thanks

20. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey Guys,

I asked Dave on the price for the following Bass:

5 String
    Custom Shape
    Custom Head
    Maple Neck / Birdseye Maple Fingerboard
    Ash Body / Quilt Maple Top
    Sunburst Finish
    2 EMG 40CS Humbuckers
    Sadowsky Preamp

He qoutet me a price I still cant believe. Somehow wired, but I´m looking forward to that thing..

I still cant believe it...