Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic Custom Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by utopia_imminent, Dec 11, 2004.

1. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    Thought of ordering a custom Dave Pushic. It looks good, it costs little and it has good reviews. Though some people complain about some imperfections that do not affect it tonally. Lots of TBers recommend the Conklin GTBD-7, but it seems a bit too expensive to me. I rather pay for a custom cause of the attention given.

So, the question is Dave Pushic good or bad cos i do not want to end up with a cursed bass that is pushed around. I want something that can last my musical escapades.

2. or the lack thereof......

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the best thing to do with any instrument like this is contact the owners of similar instruments. there are quite a few folks on tb who own dp basses, or who have owned them in the past. contact them.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Try the GT-7 or the GTBD-7. IIRC, which I often don't when it comes to Conklins (I'm not up on my Conklin literature), the BD (Bill Dickens) model has pretty narrow spacing and a relatively narrow neck compared to the GT-7. Also, these are Conklin products, so you KNOW you're going to get a quality, great sounding product. Dave Pushic is often a little more suspect -- do a search here, you'll find plenty of stuff on him.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1.

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Dude, I have a bass on order with Dave and I can tell you only one thing. Yes, some people have said some negative things regarding some rather unimportant (imho) issues like "the control cavity was not smooth inside" or "the finish was not 100% smooth as glass" or "the action was too high" (by the way, I guess it never occured to that guy to file the saddles down.....I think he went to rout the body out in order to lower the bridge, dumbass, but I digress...) but not once have I read a negative comment about sound, tone, wood quality, or personal experience with Dave.

I have been a royal pain in the ass to Dave, making change after change after change during the process. The bass I ordered originally is in no way the same bass that is almost complete, save for the fact that it has 4 strings. Dave always promptly returns emails and strives to give you what you want as long as it's possible for him to do so.

So what I'm telling you is this.....for under a grand, you'll be hard pressed to find a better option for a custom instrument, and I do mean custom in every way. Dave does have some standard guidelines that he uses, but you can change anything. Now if you want a 3/4" nut width or something stupid like that, Dave will of course tell you no and explain why it can't be done. In fact, I don't think you'll find anything custom at all under a grand.

If you're an high-strung anal retentive Nazi, buy a production instrument. If not, give Dave a whirl.....

Btw, I will be providing a full review once I get my new baby home, which I expect some time in early January. I would have had it sooner, but I changed my mind about the topwood, (0ne of the changes I described earlier) and Dave's had to halt production to wait for the top to be shipped to him.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You might want to check in the "worst basses you've ever owned thread". DP is mentioned twice and the comments are less than glowing.

8. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    4strings4ever, i get what you mean. Dave sounds like the kind of guy who has good customer relations. And, i know some ppl are just too fussy. They complain about trivial details. I do not do that.

If it has that sound and that feel and quality, it is worth my money. Dave Pushic is one luthier that would be able to fit my budget. I am only in high school. And, my parents won't pay for it. I have to use my allowance for my bass lessons and practically anything. I guess i'll get that DP Custom.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    You should know that the wait for one of Dave's basses in kinda long. I've been waiting since the first week in December last year. Dave has told me lately that he's putting in 12 to 15 hour days trying to catch up. You might consider asking him if he has any basses on hand for immediate sale.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'll sum up what Jeff is saying ; "Don't."

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The following paragraphs are excerpts from a previous DP Custom thread..........

Price is extremely low for a true custom bass, and expectations should be set accordingly. I'm not trying to say that no complaint is valid, but it seems to me that some don't factor price into the equation.

Dave is game to execute whatever craziness the customer can dream up. instead of limiting his customers to the same, tired-ass. designs that have been around since Leo owned Fender.

most of the complaints that I've seen don't have anything to do with the whole custom aspect of it. The problems I've read about include sloppy routes for pickups and control cavities, the control cavities being way too small, electronics issues (kept me from getting a used one), uneven wood laminations, wood separations (fingerboard, headstock veneer), rough finishes, and hardware issues (Progzilla's bridge), amongst other things.

Those are legit issues in my book. Maybe it's just because I kept reinforcing that Dave take all the time he needed. I know, because he can appeal to a younger client base due to his pricing, he gets pestered by some clients to have their instruments done in two weeks.......(exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Fr'instance - I wish you could see my pup routings - they are tight as a snare head and have these perfectly smooth little "dips" surrounding them make them look like the pups were "sunk" into the cocobolo.

Yeah,the control cavity is crammed but Dave kept the figure of my claro walmut perfectly contiguous between the cavity cover and the back of the body. Maybe because I insisted on it.

i was gonna avoid this like the plague but since i own one of the "disappointing" DP's i guess i should speak up... Mine was great when i got it. i thought i had thought of everything when i sent my specs, but i wasn't as thorough as i should've been. some flaws in design, but hey, dave gives the customer the option to do it themselves and i made some mistakes, no biggie (pickup placement, neck width at the nut etc.)... I do have to admit, patience was difficult and i most likely rushed his work too.. Now as far as the construction flaws (fingerboard came unglued), i have to say i was totally bummed (the beast still gets played though) but dave offered to replace as much as necessary to accomodate the situation. When i got it back i wasn't happy with the new fingerboard and new tone, but dave offered to rebuild a bass using new woods, new specs and using the hardware from the other bass. since then, i fell into some major unfortunate financial disasters, losing work, and having 2 complete rigs stolen this past summer, so i was not able to finish the new project started with dave. but now that there is no chance of going homeless, i plan on finishing it and seeing how his work has improved. if it hasn't, i'll make the decision to sell it or not deal with him anymore after that.

i'm not sticking up for him or knocking him. i, like others he has dealt with want what we have paid for. unfortunately people go into buying one of his basses sight unseen and end up chapped because of sites like this, and people relating the word "custom" to an exotic Fodera or Benavente or something like that (that work is flawless and well worth the money). just so happens my favorite "custom" bass i own or have owned is my $700 Warmoth..

initially i got what i paid for. if you consider the street price of a used Fodera, Benavente or MTD, the direct price of a handbuilt DP Custom bass using woods of your choice and design is something that appeals to people on a budget, and you can't knock dave for that...

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You seem to be hellbent on your bass, and that my friend is great, however, it doesn't cancel out other people's legitimate complaints. There was a 6 string floating around Atlanta for a while. It's flaws were MUCH more than cosmetic. It had playability issues. An uneven neck is NOT a mere cosmetic flaw! A badly cut nut is NOT a cosmetic flaw! Having a 6 string bass neck that looks like it should have 7 strings, is NOT a mere cosmetic flaw. I'll admit that Dave has been beaten up a little on this site, so I'm not trying to influence anyone's opinion one way or the other, but please don't discount other people's genuine concerns, because those same concerns aren't as inportant to you.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I hadn't heard about the good looks or the good reviews.

14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    perhaps a visit to the website might be in order.....never hurts to be as informed as possible.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Seriously, if you're looking for a great sounding bass, beautifully constructed, you might want to get something like a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02 if your budget is around $1,000. Then wait until you can afford a good custom, one you will be happy with rather than one with nagging little (or big) flaws in the details. I'm sure pretty much everyone here at TalkBass will agree that the fit, finish, and tone of a well-built, name-brand, parts bass will be far superior to that of a Pushic.

You know, 4string4ever, you say you " ... have been a royal pain in the ass to Dave," but frankly, I see it the other way around. When I order a custom bass, I don't want to have to be fixing and changing things for over a year before I receive the bass. It's completely beyond me to understand how you can characterize your self-described experiences with Pushic as positive. It sure looks a lot like a pain in the ass to me.

16. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    You know, 4string4ever, you say you " ... have been a royal pain in the ass to Dave," but frankly, I see it the other way around. When I order a custom bass, I don't want to have to be fixing and changing things for over a year before I receive the bass. It's completely beyond me to understand how you can characterize your self-described experiences with Pushic as positive. It sure looks a lot like a pain in the ass to me.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand. The changes I have made in my order were all based on the fact that there were things I just plain changed my mind about, and none of it had anything to do with Dave. For instance, I changed my mind about the body shape, the top wood, the laminates, the pickups, pretty much everything. Also, I did not once say anything about having to fix anything. Hell, I don't even have the bass yet. If you're going to quote people, you should do it accurately. I think any rational thinking person would say that after placing my order and then changing damn near everything about it would consider me a pain in the ass for that, and again, it's all my own doing, not Daves.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The quote was cut and pasted from your post. But I see your point. I still think that utopia is setting himself up for a big disappointment. Maybe you have, too. As someone else said, see the "worst basses" thread.

18. Does anyone else find it a little strange that the advice that is always given with DP Custom is things like:
    - set high expectations up front
    - tell him exactly what you expect
    - don't rush him (implying the quality will be affected)
    - don't be too "anal" about the "little things"

That advice NEVER has to be given when ordering something from Nordstrand, Fodera, Stambaugh or any other custom luthier that I am aware of. Hum...

Here are some more items to add to the order:
    - ask for frets that are parallel to each other
    - ask for electronics that don't buzz
    - ask for a straight neck
    - ask for a fretboard that is true (no humps)
    - ask that it play in tune

But, don't sweat the little stuff.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Without getting too involved.. I had a DP bass.. I don't anymore nor ever will again. To me form, fit and finish are every bit as important as tone with an instrument. Now according to 4string4ever that makes me a "high-strung anal retentive Nazi". Well, maybe I am but it's MY hard earned money I'm spending, not yours so IMO I'm entitled.

The bass I received was functional (no actually it wasn't even functional due to bad wiring), but were I a builder I would not have let it out of my shop in the condition I received it. To me the bass was not worth the money I paid for it..

YMMV