Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oysterman, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Somewhere here on TB I saw this URL mentioned a while ago: http://www.dpcustom.com (I can't recall where, and the search engine doesn't want me to find it. So please forgive me if this has been brought up earlier...)

I checked it out and, whoa - custom made five-string for a base price of $500! You can have bass made to your specs for, well, practically no money at all (at least compared to other custom shops)!

There has to be something wrong with this - I mean, the man's price policy is just too good to be true. Does anyone know more about this man and his lutherie? Should one pull back or look closer?

BTW, he has linked TalkBass on his welcome page! How cool is that? :)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, I didn't find anything there on how he prepares the wood (drying) and if and how the selects it (density, growth and look). That also makes highend basses more costly than your regular Fender...

But it's true that you can save by working alone with no overhead for marketing and such.

Rainer Dobbratz of Le Fay runs his company in a similar way now and as a result (and due to some minor design changes) the price of his Pangton model dropped from 6000DM to 4600DM! Also with some company you really pay for a highend name...like e.g. with some mountain bike components...

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've corresponded with Dave over the last couple of months. Can't vouch for his work personally but I think he does have references. Check them out, his stuff looks interesting.

4. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Well, I've been getting so many comments like this, that I've been thinking of adding a "Premium Signature" line. Basically just use all higher price parts, take away choices, sign the headstock, and double the price.

I guess it's what we were taught in Marketing 101 as "The Cutty Sark Effect". Cutty used to be a non-descript inexpensive drink... they decided to move upscale by simply raising their price. No other changes than price. Sales went up. People thought that if they were paying more, it MUST be worth more.......

JMX, thanks for the suggestion ... I'll try to add something about how I pick wood (usually because it just looks and feels "good" to me... may be hard to detail ... some things just come from experience...)

If anyone wants a reference, just email me and I'll get you some email addresses.

Back to the workshop.....

Dave P.
    DP Custom Basses
    www.DPCustom.com

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    DOnt raise the PRices!!!!!!!!!
    At least not Until I buy Mine!!
    (Im saving money for it)

6. DP Custom

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    OK, I'll try to hold off the howling cynics a little longer ;-)

Dave P.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    :D

8. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    So let me get this straight: I can get a custom design, custom built, neck through 5 string with all the electronic bells and whistles that I want for starting at $500? If these basses sound worth a ratt's patoot then they are an absolute steal. Are there any stores around that have one of these so we can see what they sound like, or any mp-3's? I would definitly be interested if they sound worth anything.

9. DP Custom

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    >>So let me get this straight: I can get a custom design, custom built, neck through 5 string with all the electronic bells and whistles that I want for starting at $500?

maybe not ALL you want! It's very easy to drive the price up to atmospheric levels by chosing expensive options.... but if you're willing to accept my generic parts, I can do a lot for your $$

>>If these basses sound worth a ratt's patoot then they are an absolute steal.

check out the comments section on my website... I'll let my customers (and my basses ) speak for me..

>> Are there any stores around that have one of these so we can see what they sound like

nope, I'm stricktly a small time luthier, dealing directly with the customers.. that way you DON'T have the store's mark-up to pay.

Dave P.
    DP Custom Basses
    www.DPCustom.com

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I see that you are based in NC. As I live in GA, I was wondering if it would be possible to take a little road trip to come to your shop to check out some of your work. It wouldn't be for a while as I am about to have surgery, but I'd love a chance at another custom bass for a great price, and checking out some of your work would definitely help with the decision. I'm all about giving my business to the "little guy." Especially if it means a super bass deal for me.

11. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Me and my big mouth. I guess I was never taught to avoid hacking people off before you do business with them. In Japan I think they cut off a finger when you do that.

12. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I need a new sense of humor.

13. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    :eek:

Holycrap, I read the prices and thought it was a joke or there was some mistake! :)

Your basses are very nice looking, and you're prices are very oustanding :) If I can save up enough money at my low-paying part time job... :)

14. DP Custom

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    >>>>If I can save up enough money at my low-paying part time job...

that's just it... the guys who make $100K+ a year can afford to spend $2k-$3k on a custom bass.. but what about the average working slob who holds down a regular job and does gigs on weekends and some nights?

maybe it's just my lower lower lower middle class upbringing showing (my brother used to say that we weren't born on the wrong side of the tracks, but we could spit that far..)

DP
    back to the workshop....

15. Well, I like the prices the way they are. I got to indulge every crazed theory I ever had (for less than an acceptable mass-produced bass): a single not-too-wide wenge strip down the middle of the neck (got two e-mails that said it tightens up the sound, saw two pages that said it helps mismatched woods get along), the Yamaha reverse-stagger (Lee Sklar) in P5 format (hard to get), the filter circuit I got on eBay (Alembic's great idea) and the old P pickup plate I sent you (I'm old-fashioned when it comes to shielding), the aluminum bridge (just to try one out)--not to mention comfort stuff like mandolin frets (Lee Sklar again), 11/16" string spacing . . . I don't think there's a single detail we haven't tweaked.

And there's some part of me that loves the idea that I can ask to not get what I don't want, like more than 3 pieces in the neck or decorative caps on the mahogany core (hate the sound of glue, hate neck dive, hate heavy basses), epoxied frets (hate the sound of glue), more than one pickup, more (or less) than 21 frets, and tell you what, if I hadn't scored the EZQ, I was thinking about asking you for no controls, just a jack.

Anyway, on my budget, I can afford just one bass, and this is the only custom I can afford (sold my factory bass and got more for it used than you're charging me new). Works for me. Don't go changing.

16. Ive been drawing possible designs for my future DP bass like everyday in math, this is so great!

17. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Thanks alot guys! I was all set to buy a Toby 6 and upgrade and then you guys go and tell me about DP! Now I have to plan to spend LESS money than I would have spend on the Toby and upgrades! What friends you are! What am I going to do with the residual? I could use a new wireless......

18. wow, i'm sold. i've been looking at reverend and G&L, but now, the possibility of a handmade neck-thru 5 for a little over $500? damn. as soon as i make a little money this summer, i think i'll order one!

that 4-string with the J+MM configuration looks real nice, does anyone make 5 string jazz pups?

19. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Yes, Sadowsky Makes Five String Jazz PUPs Price: $150 I think..

David