Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Pushic...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Sep 29, 2001.

1. I know this is probably the 100000th thread on this subject, but i wanted to know some stuff...i am interested in a custom-made bass...most likely Jazz style, rosewood board...probably two humbuckers (Wal-style) or two j's and a humbucker in the middle (most likely all Bartolini or Seymour Duncan)...i'm not sure about the body wood yet, but i want this to make a hugely versatile bass...oh, and passive electronics...could you give me an estimate on price? If you need more info, please ask, i am very interested!

thanks

Ariel

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    (Psst, it would be easier to e-mail him. Find the addy on www.dpcustom.com.)

3. oh...lol....thanks oyster...:)

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's also a website called luthiersaccessgroup.com that will shop your specs around to different luthiers. I'm not sure if that URL is correct but its something like that.

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Thanks for that link - that is a GREAT resource to have.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I was going through the site and it said that a 4-string bass would start at $550. That is a pretty low price for a custom. Do you get what you pay for? Or do you get a lot more? or less?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh so much more. It's in the FAQ section of the site. Bassically, because he's cool (i.e. not greedy) and because he works alone, without sales people or anything, he can afford to let things go at a much less than reasonable price. And ask around, he does some super high quality work. It's well documented that myself and Rickbass1 (and a host of others) are into DP, and have/going to have basses made for us. Dave's also fairly quick with the responses too. Good guy, good stuff.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is anyone here disappointed with their DP?

I know someone that is looking for a new bass, and he has been thinkin' about a Peavey Cirus, but he may want a DP instead.

9. I was seriously considering one for a while, but he only does natural finishes on basses... I'm not a big fan of those.

Other then that I haven't really had any experience them.

10. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Hi
    I ordered a bass from Dave, but when I got it I wasn't real pleased with it. I ended up sending it back. I have heard he has done some good work so I am not putting down his ability. It may have been my fault as much as his, but anyway, make sure you know what you want and you can tell him exactly. And yes, natural finishes are his forte (I tried to have a sunburst). Good luck.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what didnt you like about it?

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What didnt you like? Did you ask him for a refund?

I went trough a similar situation, but I opted for him to modify it/fix it.
    Im not too sure about this, but it just makes me feel bad because of the time I invested in thinking it up, and the time he took building it.

13. I have found Dave great to work with - he's very timely in his responses and is very concerned about doing the job correctly. He is very patient in dealing with questions and considerate about allowing me to offer input. I had a list of custom items and Dave has been great to work thru all the details.

That said, a custom-made bass isn't for everyone. If you like the type of work Dave does, I would think you would be pleased with the outcome. If you want an exact copy of an existing design, why not just buy the original? But, if you want a particular design, Dave is extreemly helpful in assisting you to meet your objective.

Jeff

14. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I just want to add that, while I ended up returning the bass, Dave was great to work with. He was willing to answer my questions and he was reliable. I have no bone to pick with his character. I think you were right, Jeff, in that I probably didn't want a custom bass. I ended up buying a G&L jb-2 and it has worked out great.

15. i went for the DP custom bass, and i am sooper stoked so far.. i wish i knew how to post the photos, because he is makin a hell of a bass and at an incredible price. I realized the fact i had never seem one of his basses in person, so i went simple as far as electronics and options. A bass by Ken Smith with the same options would be near $2800 and my buddy is getting a Jerzy Drozd that is almost a replica of mine, and he's paid $3500 and waited almost a year. i'm in shock at how affordable it's gonna be.. if i can figure out photo posting, i'll put them up.. i say go for it.. :cool:

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Since i have nothing better to do, i've been figuring out an ideal DP custom for myself, even though i have the money, but i can't buy one, and i want one sooooo mmuuuccchhhh.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm having a DP custom 5 string being made right now. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of this week. My experience with Dave Pushic has been great so far. He is very understanding and patient, and is quick to respond to inquiries.

If you do decide to get a DP custom, do your research. The more you put into it, the better Dave can make it.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I figure my next bass will probably be a DP, but it may be a year or two. I've been researching woods and stuff because it is fun, but i don't know much. I figure i'd probably get something like a walnut back, pau ferro front, and a mahogany or cherry core. I'd probably get a mahogany neck with a wood that would be suitable for a fretless with roundwounds (i.e. ebony, coated rosewood). I don't know about pickups (maybe barts), except i'd get a PJ configuration. Neck Width at nut would be between 1 3/8 inches - 1 1/2 inches. 2 1/4 inches from e to g at saddles.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It comes to mind that I've never ranked on Dave Pushic basses. And I'm not gonna start now. Aren't they made by Jay Turser?