Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave "Thunder" Funk (Thunderfunk amps) is Da Man!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to Dave and his level of service. I bought a used A.M.P. BH-420 off of a fellow TBer (ElDave777, this is not Dave from Thunderfunk). I got it for a great price from a great guy. It was generally speaking in good working order, but was missing one of the two input jacks, had some minor wiring issues (limiter was not working, etc) and had some other minor issues (missing knob caps, dirty pots, etc). More or less the things you would expect for a 15+ yr old amp.

Anyway, I inquired to Dave at Thunderfunk about him fixing the issues and giving it a good going over. Dave was quick to respond. I sent the head off to Dave. He promptly sent me an email explaining exactly what needed to be fixed and a couple suggested upgrades that he could do (heatsinks on the transistors, replace some caps that are known to go bad with better ones that are used in the Thunderfunks, etc). He did all of the work in a very short amount of time, shipped it and sent me a tracking number.

Upon getting the amp. I noticed right away that my baby looked like it had been on the "Amp Makeover Show". The input jack had been replaced, knobs replaced and caps put on, etc. I popped the amp open and noticed a lot of new wiring, new caps and somehow he made the interior look almost like the day it rolled off of the assembly line. It just looked clean and near new inside and out. All pots now function with no noise, etc. Dave was also kind enough to give me some history on my particular head stating that it was one of the last BH-420's made and that it actually had the same circuit boards in it as the Gibson prototypes, etc (vs most other BH-420's).

Dave charged me what I feel was an extremely reasonable price for his work. Based upon what I just witnessed for his level of communication, attention to detail and sheer love for what he is doing, I know what my next amp will be... a Thunderfunk! I love the A.M.P. BH-420, so why not get the new and improved version of my A.M.P.? The more time I spend with the A.M.P., the more I love it. I'll always keep it around to as a backup/practice head and use the Thunderfunk to gig with. Anybody want to buy a Kustom Groove Bass :D ?

Bottom line, don't hesitate to go to Dave for your amp needs, especially if you are looking to buy new. He and his company are top notch! I'll upload some before and after shots of my A.M.P. this eve.

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quadzilla--

How did you contact him? I have the same model of A.M.P. and had given up hope of finding someone who could fix it.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
  4. Quadzilla

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While my AMP BH420 is in fine working order, I may have to send it in to Dave for a once over. He has always been a pleasure to talk to, and I am encouraged (though not surprised) to hear of your positive experience!

Tom.

6. His book on tube amps is probably the BEST overall resource you'll ever find on the subject!!!

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    +1. Dave is awesome to work with.

edited for spelling;)

8. +1

9. Amen to that...they will pry my Thunderfunk out of my cold, dead hands....

10. Quadzilla

This is from when I first got it...

[​IMG]

11. Quadzilla

This is after I got it back from Dave...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    He's a top notch guy and the TFB420 is an absolute bargain!

Can't find a better amp in that price range.

Also his trade in used gear plan is remarkable. He'll give you a very fair price on your trade in (more than any pawn shop/store).

13. I am jumping on the Dave bandwaggon. I want to give him a big hug!

I am what you'd consider a poor bassist. I sold my Ampeg SVT-3 and had limited dough to buy a demo Thunderfunk from Dave, as he was asking $749. I sent him one email that all I had at the moment left on my card was about $150, I basically asked him to drop $100 off.

He emailed me back and said he'd think about it. I heard nothing for about 10 days and I emailed him Saturday and asked him if he'd do it. His reply was almost immediate and he sold it to me for $650 plus 25 to ship it. That was it.
    Charged it. Should be here Friday. I want to hug the man. Thanks Dave!

Now, the true test will be when I get this sucker. I am pairing it with a Raezer's Edge Bass 12-400 and a RE Bass-10. Some have said I am nuts. I play mainly rock, original.

Let me be the first to say I am nuts and this is going to be an incredible marriage. I can feel it. I am practically shaking in my shoes waiting.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, dammit! Now I have to send mine in, too! :D

15. Quadzilla

Looks like Dave also takes trades on his Thunderfunk heads and sells the used gear. I stumbled upon his used gear page --> Dave's Used Gear Prices seem pretty reasonable for a dealer!

16. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I am very happy that you are very happy. Though I am a little sad. It's like when you break up with a girlfriend and then you see her with a different guy and she looks hotter than ever. :bawl:

17. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    More than a crack amp guru he's probably the only text writer that won't put you to sleep. He writes with humor and keeps dull subjects interesting. All the elite tube amp guys in the field hold Dave's work in the highest regard. When I grow up and get a real amp it will be a TF!

18. Quadzilla

Funny man! Yep, I stole your girl (actually you pimped her out to me), got her some lypo (spelling?), a new rack, face lift and a good waxing. She's looking good now man! :D ;)

19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    It was a pleasure for me to deal with the man: great communicator and so professional.
    Can't thanks him enough for my TFB550.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    :eek: OK....what did you do with the real Quadzilla?