1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Blaine Fraud?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Sep 25, 2008.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
  2. :rolleyes:

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Not a fraud, but a cheater. Then again, who cares? The value to society is the same anyway. Exactly zero...

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Why didn't he just revise one of his earlier tricks and hold his breath for sixty hours.

He could then have just taken a break every few minutes or seconds....as long as he doesn't say he won't be taking any breaks.

What he did may not have been easy, but his stunt was completely misrepresented. He'll have a lot of trouble getting funding for his next trick. Actually, I'll bet with how extensive his contracts will now be, his chance of actually dying in an attempt will dramatically increase.

Perhaps his next stunt can be digging his own grave and nailing his own coffin.

5. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Gold Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    When I first saw this stunt live last night it appeared that maybe the lighting was not coordinated with his movements, in otherwords we saw parts of the trick that weren't supposed to be seen. You even catch the commentator at a loss for words and continuing to go by the script and describe what was supposed to happen.
    Watching it happen was uncomfortable. But, I will give him this: the pre-recorded illusions leading up to the dissapointment were pretty cool.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I was in London on vacation when he was up in a suspended box on the river thames. You would have thought that the queen was up there taking a royal dump. There was absolutely nothing to see but the bubble boy. It was a pickpocket's wet dream with everyone's attention skywards.

I see more entertainment value in a toaster that burns the face of jesus into a slice of white bread.

7. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I'd start throwing rocks at him. I guess its good for him he doesn't do his stunts here.

8. Seems like whatever he's doing (and I didn't even know until I saw this thread) it's got people talking...

hmmm...

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I watched it on TV last night, and was seriously annoyed by the lameness of it all. I hadn't even been aware of the setup of three days hanging, I just channel-surfed onto it. After they pulled him upright the commentator and "doctors" made a big production out of how dangerous it was to be upright after so long upside down, but if you listened all they were saying (repeatedly) was that his legs would be wobbly for a few minutes, and his eyes might be a bit red. On top of that, he was obviously fine when they got him on the scaffolding- the commentator kept having to say "he seems a bit weak, but he bravely waves to the crowd" :rolleyes: -he was fine. And no wonder, if he was allowed to be upright every hour on the hour.

THEN, the climactic jump, was not even a jump! He was lowered to the ground slowly by cables. He could have filmed an entire scene from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" in the time it took them to lower him down. He went so slowly I thought it was a joke, like "this time we got you, but they're going to haul me up and then I'll jump for real." H got hauled up all right, and he kept looking up and making hand signs at the helicopter (I presume) that lifted him away. It took them a couple minutes just to clear him of the structure, so I imagine he was looking up in annoyance like "why aren't I flying away magically into the sky yet?" And of course the cameras didn't "look up" until he'd been gone for a while.

The whole thing was ultra lame, and I guess I'm the dummy for sitting through it.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    no, he's clearly not a fraud:

LOL

11. David Blaine: Git Wizard!

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    They should have lowered him and hung him upside down from a tree so he could be a human pinata. That would be a real endurance test.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Already been done.....by Rod Kimble.

:D

-Mike

14. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Whoops. My bad. :D

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I would rather watch him pee himself just standing on the ground then not do it and hang upside down for 3 days.

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'd like to see him pee upside down without a catheter. ;)

17. Dangle

Dangle

May 28, 2008
    i just watched the video of david blaine getting punched by kimbo slice 2 times in the stomach.
    looked to me tho that he stepped backwards just before impact making the blow land with less power.

18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Dude...

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    i love those videos!

20. I caught the end of it and I had no idea what had happened. He was lowered to the ground and then carried away.

It was very anticlimactic.