1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

David Blaine. Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, May 9, 2006.

1. I saw David Blaine on TV last night, guess he spent a week as a gold fish.

story.blaine.shake.ap.

Isn't there some kind of fund you can donate to so Penn and Teller will smack him?

[​IMG]

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If *his* funding gets cut, maybe his antics will cease.

3. I did my part. I've changed the channel at the mere mention of his name.

Mike

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think Blaine is a fake.

JMHO and no I can't prove it, but this is just the way I feel.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What?! How can you say that?!

The man is clearly 100% genuine dork.

bc

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You mean his magic ISN'T REAL???!!??? :eek: :bawl:

...my heart....it's breaking....

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    He comes up with some pretty creative stuff, and it made him a millionaire. Quit the sour grapes crap. You all wish you were him. I bet he gets hoards of hot chicks too. :)

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes. I wish I wasn't me because some dork has lots of money.

bc

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yes, the magic of...of...of...being cooped up for a week.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I watched him come out of the bubble last night, and he certainly has the power to turn his face completely blue.

He just had to hold his breath for seven minutes to do it.

11. He may have made millions, but how much did it cost for the paramedics to treat him after this most recent stupid stunt?? And does he pay out of his own pocket?

12. I guess he failed to break the world record for holding your breath underwater... the world record is 8 minutes and 58 seconds, and he managed to hold his breath for 7 minutes and 8 seconds. Got pretty close, and it's amazing!

I admit his latest series of "cheating death" stunts are really crazy, but it's amazing that he survives this stuff. I think this was the response because everyone was spoiling how he did his magic ellusions and stuff, so now he's resorting to doing all that Houdini stuff...

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    While I was in the Navy, I got to where I could routinely hold my breath for a bit over three minutes. That isn't even enough to impress serious divers, but it's pretty darned good for someone like me, who didn't get to dive enough.

Remembering that I timed myself just now. I can't even do a whole minute anymore.

:scowl: :bawl: :crying: :meh: :bag:

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    blaine = loser

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    more like david lame.

:bag:

16. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    What have you all got against him? He does some stupid stunts to test human endurance, hence you hate him? Huh?

17. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I actually watched it and laughed my dumb ass off the whole entire time. If only he would have drowned to death, now THAT would have been cool!

18. C'mon guys - his levitation trick was pretty funny the first time i saw it. Don't forget - he's an entertainer - and by talking about him like this, he's doing JUST that.
    Think about it.;)

19. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Bwaaaa haa haha ha ha ha ha haa!!!

20. Keep in mind that you can naturally hold your breath longer when under water than just normally. Something's triggered in your body. So when you say you timed yourself right now and can't do even a whole minute, don't feel bad because you probably could do longer under water.

I think you guys are all jealous of David Blaine's superpowers. :)

I actually know how to do a lot of his famous ellusions (i.e. pulling head off a dove, resurrecting a dead fly, Balducci and King Rising levitation, 360 degree arm twist, cigarette through a quarter, etc.), and the concept behind them is actually pretty clever. Most of all, his execution is superb.

I am, however, partial towards coin and card magic--more specifically the magic tricks that rely on sleight of hand rather than gimmicks. (watch some of Brad Christian's stuff to be amazed)

Criss Angel is a David Blaine wanna-be. I don't like a lot of his tricks. His method of levitation is really obvious, and a lot of his other tricks are fakey also. Though I did like his trick where he walked up and down the side of a building (with bare feet)...