David Bowie, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragen, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Do you guys have Bowie-tabs? I would be grateful if one of you did, cause I could not find too many when I searched for some. The bass one his songs sounds really fun to play, just to mention that. From an experienced point of view; are they good, advanced or anything near the elite?
  2. like frank zappa, alice cooper, and lou reed bowie always hung with great players, it might be easier to find a midi file of his song and a player that writes out the sheet music i use midi soft studio and it works pretty good i usualy find midi files easier to find than tabs for pop rock bands i.e. it would be easier to find a U2 midi than a U2 tab good luck
  3. Throw on "Ziggy Stardust" and learn it by ear! While the playing on that album is generally considered "sloppy", those are some of the coolest and trickiest rock bass lines I've ever heard. I called 'em "greased pig" lines.. just when you think you've got a handle on 'em, they get away again.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I always liked Omar Hakim's opening beat in 6 to "Modern Love".
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Guitarist magazine in the UK had a complete guitar/bass breakdown of "China Girl" recently. Bowie has had some "elite" bass players in the past.
  6. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Learn it by ear?.....I mean, that's near impossible. I played last night (in a much simplified version), but it didn't sound right. I'm a newbie and such a feat is beyond me. I think I could play it if I knew what to play, though. Do you mean that you can listen to a song and then just play it?
  7. I can't listen to a song just once and play it note for note. It takes a little while, but it's good practice. Throwing on a CD and following along until you get it is a great way to train your ear.. as long as you're in tune with the CD, and the bass on the CD is in standard tuning!
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I mirror what Siff said.

I am a relative new player too, but have stopped using bass tabs. I have found much pleasure in figuring it out with my ear, although my stereo has taken the brunt of my learning abuse.

JimK, Let's Dance is my favorite DB LP, even with SRV on guitar! I am not a SRV fan in the least.
  9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hello all,

Do they call the playing on Ziggy "sloppy"? Just listen to a live-recording of "Hang on to yourself" and try to play it that tight...

Some fine examples of good bowie bassists are:
    George Murray - on "Low", great grooves.
    Tony Visconti - on "The man who sold the world". In my opinion, his fuzz-tone beats Jack Bruce's.
    Mark Plati - Nice fretless on "Hours".
    Gail ann Dorsey - One of my favourite bassists...great, strong melodic playing on Earthling. And on the new BBC-cd, check out "Ashes to Ashes", cannot find English words to describe her playing on that.