David Bowie - Reality

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I... uhh... hmm I'm not sure what to make of this one. It's good, I guess, but different. I think I like it. Yeah.

Heathen is one of my favorite albums to come out in quite a few years, and now Bowie has thrown us all a curve ball once again. It's not rocky, or jazzy, not even really weird. It just... is.

Anybody else heard this one? What do you think?
  2. Bowie did an XFM hijack a couple of months ago in which he played several tracks off Reality.
    -I dunno, it didn't really grab me.
    solid bass work from Mark Plati & Tony Visconti, but the songs and production overall didn't seem like anything fresh.

I have the MOJO magazine Bowie special-
    you always see reviews saying "Bowie's new album is his best since Scary Monsters"- for EVERY new album he does,
    however in MOJO's roundup of his albums they name the 1993 Buddha of Suburbia album as "the closest thing to a classic album since scary monsters".
    - it and Outside get 4 out of 5 stars.

Outside re-used the track "strangers when we meet" from BOS.

Buddha of suburbia is definitely an underrated album- "dead against it" could have made a great single.
  3. ps. found an interesting interview with Bowie-

"DB: My best album is, of course, my new one, Reality. No question. No brainer. Without doubt my best since, oh, Scary Monsters probably. My favourite is still Buddha of Suburbia. I really felt happy making that album. Overall, it was just myself and Erdel Kizilcay working on that.
    As it accompanied the TV play of the same name, it was designated as a soundtrack by the record company and got zilch in the way of marketing money. A real shame, I thought. It has to be my favourite though. That and Reality, of course."

Music Zone are clearing out the Bowie 24bit remasters for £4.97 -
    I picked up Scary Monsters, Let's Dance and Tin Machine1.
  4. I'm still listening to Reality and there are some tracks I really love and some others that are kinda flat to me. Bring Me the Disco King is my favorite followed by Pablo Picasso.