David Bowie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 13, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Who was the bass player that played with David Bowie throught the late 60's and 70's ?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Trevor Bolder played bass in the early seventies "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" incarnation of Bowie.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Herbie Flowers is mainly a session bassist who sort of "played" around Bolder's stint.

Flowers played on "David Bowie" in something like `69, then showed up again later in the early 70's after Bolder was gone on "David Bowie Live", "Diamond Dogs" and "Space Oddity" (?).

FWIW, Bolder's work is much more memorable to me.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flowers was a 'big-time' session/studio bassist...that's him on "Walk On The Wild Side", right? ;)
  5. Yep.
    There was a time where Bowie, Lou Reed, and Alice Cooper had the same members.

Kind of like the Cracker version of the Funk Brothers with a dark twist.

Some of the other great bass players were Prakash John and Tony Levin.
  6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm not that sure about his self-titled debut (except A Space Oddity), but on The Man who sold the World, it's his producer Tony Visconti who is doing some fine bass-work.
    Trevor Bolder first appeared on Hunky Dory.

In my (oh so humble) opinion, Bowie's best bassplayers are/have been George Murray and Gail Ann Dorsey.
    Trevor Bolder played in a nice way, but was sort of a one trick pony. Although he played his best lines on Alladin Sane, check out the title track and the Lady Grinning Soul (or so) for the best examples.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like both on Welcome To My Nightmare; that's the last Cooper album I bought.
    I recall learning "Black Widow"...there's a LOW "E" that Levin doesn't land squarely on the "1"/downbeat(as I was accustomed to hearing). Cool tune.
    Anyway, back then that threw me...I liked it! ;)
  8. Yea, its perfect isn't it?
    The song has a great riff but there always seems to be something off. Truly make the song better.