Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Eden "DC-210XLT Metro"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slackdaddy, Sep 7, 2004.

1. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Does anyone in here play the "Metro" combo by Eden? If so please tell me what you think of this amplifier. Thanks in advance!

2. I had a metro for the last 4 years and just moved up to 2 - 210XST's powered by the Eden Navigator and WP-100 pre-amp. I play out approximate 100 gigs a year so the amp was really used. The reason I upgraded is that I found I didn't have enough head room when playing If your playing hard rock or heavy metal I would suggest you look into something with a bit more power (p.s...I love the setup I have now!).

3. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    What year was your "Metro"? Did you have any problems with it aside from volume issues? Did it ever crap out on you? Do you feel it is a reliable amp?

4. It was a 1999 model and toward the end it started to fail on me. I have to say, over those years I only had it serviced one time (when it started to fail). Other than that one time I used the amp every day for the full 4 years. I guess that's a good track record. The bottom line is that I believe it's a great combo amp.

5. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Thanks, I appreciate your input!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I owned a 99 for a little over a year. Good, solid, loud combo. Mine was stolen. I used the insurance money to buy a Peavey BAM210, which is heavier, louder, and handle the low B better than the Metro.

7. I am currently using a 2001 Metro with a 210xlt extension cab. I love the tone, but because of the weight I wish I had went the Eden head/preamp & seperate cab route.

Bottom line is if you can get a great deal on a Metro you will probably not regret it. But if I was buying new I would probably get Eden Preamp/Poweramp and an assortment of cabs, but I have been so happy with my tone that I am not willing to risk losing it. (Trading would be the only option I had due to $$$ situation)

Hope this helps. I haven't tried everything out there, but Eden is my favorite so far.

By the way the 2 channels are great for switching between 2 basses and Upright/Electric. Another Reason that I cannot part at the moment.

8. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I have one on order and I should get it in a week or so. I have an Ampeg B-15 portaflex I use with a B-15N extension cabinet. The van we tour in is too small to accomodate the B-15. I love my B-15, which is not very loud but unbelievably heavy (weighs in at 117lbs and that is just the amp the cab is another 50lbs). I have been using a little GK head with a Mitchell cabinet ro sometimes a BAssman cab but the sound is nowhere near what I need. I plan on taking the Metro on the road and using the B-15 for recording or shows here in Athens. I do appreciate all the input from evryone here.

9. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Amp just arrived in the mail the other day. I had no idea a combo could sound so good! So far I absolutely love this amp! I think it may be the solution to my amplifier needs.

10. zacsmith

zacsmith

Jul 20, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I've got a 2000 model I bought used about a year ago. I love the tone I get from it with the EQ flat — but when I need a little boost, it's got all the flexibility in tone I could ask for. Very versatile combo.

Just serviced it about a month ago: an input IC went bad and Channel 1 wouldn't work, plus one of the speakers had a strange sound to it. Replaced the component and all is well. Not bad for a four-year-old amp.

zackbass

11. Since I bought this amp a year ago, I now focus all of my gas on Basses.

It also helped alot to play many basses through the same amp to get a true idea of what I like and don't like. Now when I go to a guitar store I look for something "Gold" to plug into.

For the last year it has been either a Fender P, Jazz, or G&L 5 string (2500 & 1505) with a Monster cable and that is it.

With this amp there is no need for EQ's, Compressors, maximizers, etc...

12. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Played a few shows with it now and still loving it!

13. I have been lugging mine around alot lately. It makes me want to buy a Dolly.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    why are people complaining about the weight of the Metro?? It's only 76 pounds. My goodness, what do you guys want?

I went from a power/pre with an Eden 410XLT to the Metro, so I already knew how good it was going to sound when I got my Metro. It sounded even better that I expected. Mine is from 1999, and thus far I have had zero issues with it. I love it.

-Mike

15. It is just a little bulky and is a pain to open a door while carrying it, without beating it or the door to death. Opinions may vary. It doesn't bother me enough to part with it though.