Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Eden Problem - Need Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nede, Aug 1, 2003.

1. nede

nede

Aug 1, 2003
    Hello, I purchased a David Eden DC-210XLT Combo Metro approx. 5 months ago (brand new).....I believe it is suppose to push 400 watts but this is my problem.

I noticed within the first few weeks that it was not pushing anywhere close to 400 watts. I recently jammed with some folks and the guitarist had a 4x10 Marshall...I had the Gain and Master volume at Max and it barely kept up. This can't be!!!!!
    It did not matter if it was in the solid state or tube side..still quiet.

As I said this is pretty much a brand new amp and it seems to be pushing maybe 100 watts. What gives?

Im not sure if this matters but when you pull the gain knobs out a little, the tone gets quieter. Is that right? Im still new to the amp.

This is not my first amp ( i've had Gallien Krueger, Acoustic, etc.) so i do know what 400 watts is suppose to sound like and what 100 watt amps sound like. This Eden is not performing at a 400 watt amp level.

If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. I am calling the tech line tomorrow but thought I would run in by you kind folks.
    I have a 2003 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray.
    (brand new battery).....it's not the bass

Thank you for reading!!!
    - A concerned Eden owner

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does it have 4 ohm or 8 ohm internal speakers? If it is set up with 8 ohms, it is only putting out 200 watts.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a question. How many watts was the guitarist using? General rule is that you need twice the speakers cabs and at least 4 times the number of watts, more if possible. Any less that that and you willl always struggle to be heard.

Be careful running pre and post at full tilt. It's likely to incuce clipping which can blow the speakers.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just a quick reminder, there is no David Eden...

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Have you read your owners manual yet? As far as pulling your knob...heh heh, On my Eden if you pull out the Enhance Knob you are bypassing the compressor circuitry. As Embellisor said if you have an 8 ohm speaker setup you are pushing minimum power with that particular amp. If you hooked up another 8 ohm and 4 ohm cab in parralell you would be getting your 600 watts of power. If this doesn't make sense to you I suggest you read your owners manual. If that doesn't help, call an Eden tech. I talked to them about 2 yrs. ago when I installed an Eden crossover in to my cab. They where very helpful. Good Luck.

6. have u tried playing with a diffent bass, my warwick for some reason is wicked quite and i cant use it with my 100 watts combo when i playing with a drummer and a guitar player but i do fine with my fender.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    How is it that 2 10's are supposed to compete with a guitar players 4 12? In my 20 years of playing I've never seen a 210 rig that can go up against a Marshall 100w/412 and sound good unless the guitarist was turned WAY down. With all due respect you are expecting way too much from the little rig.

A couple of things that might help in the meantime:

Cut your low, boost the mids and go easy on the low eq on the Stingray (it boosts a huge spectrum of lows which can soak up the power from mids quickly). It'll sound barky but at least you'll be heard.

Angle the Metro so that it's pointing at your head, not your knees. Or raise it to ear level.

Bottom line is you need more speaker area not more wattage.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ill trade ya my swr 4004 head..and a hartke 410 cab for it....it keeps up with a full on ska/punk band..*shrugs shoulders

steve

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep, yep, yep.