Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

david eden vs. ampeg vs. mesa boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seb060790, Oct 3, 2005.

1. seb060790

seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    triple threat!!!11 :hyper:

anyone have experinces with any of these amps, which is best for rock? :help:

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First off, they are all great for rock, it depends on what kinda rock you are playing and what kinda ears you have. They all have completely unique sounds, and the different models have different sounds besides those.

3. why not get an amped head and a eden box? :D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, I was born in 1948. Rock was born in about 1953. That means I have been listening to "rock" for over 50 years. What in the HELL do you mean by "rock"?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Damn Munj, you were 16 when I was born, and I'm old.

What's best for rock? Obviously, Behringer connected with Tara Labs Cables.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Make sure they come equipped with boogera aluminium speakers!

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, I thought that went without saying. Gotta have Boogera aluminum speakers! Ya gotta have an OLP or SX bass to rawk too.

8. seb, taking the time to fill out your public profile will help others advise you on finding 'your' sound, as well as avoiding sarcastic comments. But do take your time- I'm here for the comic relief. ;)

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Triple threat? I'm not feeling threatened by any of these brands. :)

I've tried one of each though:
    I used to own a Mesa/Boogie Basis M2000 head (paired with a Bag End S15X-D) and it sounded good to me. This setup sounded good to me: very smooth and clear sound, and lots of tone shaping possible with the 2000 knob amp.
    At church we have an Ampeg B210HP combo, that one has lots of punch for its size (it's heavy though) but the sound isn't very clear and accurate. Works well with a group though.
    My current rig is an Eden WT-800 head into an AccuGroove Tri-112L cab. The best sound I've ever had or heard. Very clear, accurate and powerful. It is so clear that I haven't ever needed to adjust the EQ on the amp, all tonal variation from my fingers comes through very well. Lovely!

For purely rock music though (meaning that you play with a drummer and probably a guitarist, both pretty loud), I imagine the Ampeg would give satisfaction.

10. seb060790

seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    i dont mind being insulted but i really do hate being patronised people

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Seb, I own Edens and Ampegs, and I pretty much tend to use the Ampegs for rock...we do the classic rock thing if it makes a difference. So and SVT and 8x10 does the job quite well. My Edens had a little more modern sound, and IMO require a little more tweeking to get the tone I like. For me, the Ampegs are plug and play. No effects or anything like that.

12. I repeat:Fill out your profile. Lie if you want, but don't make us guess.

13. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    what kind of rock man??? its a simple question
    hard rock, punk rock, classic rock, prog rock?
    who's tone do you like? what do you lean towards? what kind of bass do you play?
    with no info, I'd recommend a bass pod and a big power amp through a cereal box with whoopy cushion speakers

14. My dream rig! This also conjures thoughts that pop up during or just preceding a particularly heinous trainwreck: Riding the Hindenburg, fully engulfed in flames, into the ground at Lakehurst, New Jersey- straddling her like a cowboy, trying to steer the great beast away from her death...

15. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I see you've moved an 810 down a flight of stairs too

16. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I use an Ampeg head with Eden cabs and my guitarist uses a Mesa Boogie amp, and we play rock. So I say go with all three.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'm down with that. And my wife was 11 when I got out of the Marine Corps. No, we weren't dating yet.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hear ya. My wife was in 9th grade my first year on the PD. Nope..we weren't dating yet either. :)

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There is no David Eden.

20. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    +1 and LMAO