1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David eden vs Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ka_Ve_86, Feb 28, 2008.

1. OK i currently own a eden d410lxt and a 115xlt which i love but my friend is selling his mesa 6x10 cab and he's selling it cheap just wondering peoples opinions on both i love the mesa whenever i plug into it... I mainly play punk rock but also love grooving to some hip hop and soul occasionally...
    Should i stick to my david eden set up or move on to a mesa which will be more suited to my style?

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    mesa

3. BassfromSpace

BassfromSpace

Sep 28, 2007
    depends on the amp but the edens IMHO are the best all around.

4. Im playing through a markbass LMII if that helps..

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    A couple of years ago I switched from my GK / Mesa 210 / Mesa 115 to an all Eden WT330 / D112XLT / D410T - But I did get to a/b them against each other before I decided. If it is at all possible, that would be my reccomendation to you: A/B the setups at a gig or at least practice. Its all good, I cannot imagine either rig sounding bad. :bassist:

6. Just a suggestion.................why not own both?
    You like the Eden cabs......
    You like the Messa cab........

Nice to have options!

7. because then i will be broke i would love to own both but i really cant afford it

8. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    do you have to choose?

9. I thought you said your mate was selling the Mesa cheap?

Anyway.........agree with A/B'ing them and make up your mind which sounds better.

10. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    The Eden 410 and 115 is a horrible mismatch, so you're really taking about comparing the Eden 410 with the Mesa 610. What kind of head do you have and how much stuff do you want to lug around?

11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I like em both! I am currently using an eden head and mesa cabs. You can't really go too wrong with either, so choose whatever catches your fancy.

12. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    Why so horrible? I'm using the 2x15 xlt and was about to buy the 4x10xlt to go with it. What's wrong with the combo?

I'd assume you know your eden gear fairly well ;)

13. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    The D115XLT's efficiency rating is 100db, the 410's is 106. I forget the exact ratio, but it would take several times the power to run the 15 at the same level as the 410. Your 2x15 is rated at 103db, the same as the 210's and the 212 and would be a good match with them and a much closer match to the 410, although still substantially apart.

Originally, a lot of dealers sold the 410/115 combo to folks to run with the old WT800 in dual mono. The thought there was that you could balance out the two cabs and have the best of both worlds. Most folks figured out that it was better to just run the 410 in bridged mono, both from a sonic and a load in/out issue.

I benefited from this because the guy I bought my '97 800 from preferred his SWR Bass 750 which could run two Goliath III cabs at 4 ohms, where the older WT800s could only bridge at 8 ohms and so he originally sold me the 800 and the 115 and then later traded me a D410XLT straight up for an Ampeg Classic 410hlf , perhaps one of the best trades I ever made.

14. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    You know too much

15. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005

Actually, I think it'd be an awesome combo to run two D215XLT cabs. What a wonderful old school sound. Tommy Shannon used to run 4 15s, only not as good cabs as you'd have.

16. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Here's a shot of one of the few times I ever tried the 410/115 combo and then a more fruitful combo with two matched 115s. Even running the two 115s in dual mono my ears got compressed long before the third set.

MVC-664F.
    Twinsgoouttoplay-small.

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In practice, it really does sound pretty good though, if you just pump 400 watts or so into each. The 15 is there to get the 410 up to ear level, and to fill out the bottom end with some slower responding bass. The 410 is louder, but you do still hear the 15.

Unless you can try to the Mesa with your band and head, I'd just stick with the Edens. Both are great, and equivalent in most ways. So unless you're really unhappy with the Edens (which is hard to imagine), forget about it.

18. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    That Mesa 610 is a HEEEAAAVY cabinet to haul. Tone for tone, sometimes a cab's massive weight is a huge deterrment.

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I gotta agree here.

I like both about equally, and go back and forth as each are so versatile. I need to just get a smaller Eden head down the line, so I won't regret giving up my M-Pulse when I want that tone.

And honestly, the Edens sounds better to my ears w/ my Quantums. Love my Mesa, but yeah. Either are can't miss.

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I think it takes double the power to yield a 3db increase.

Agree the 410 and 115 is a bad match. IMHO the best matching cab for a 15 is another 15:D!