Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Eden VT-300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was @ GC in Queens & I tried a this head through an Eden 410 & I wasen's exactly thrilled. I played a MM SR5 & it did nothing for me. I didn't see it @ first & was playing the SR5 through a GK 1001 RB & a GK 410 & IMO the GK set up sounded better than the Eden.

In a way, I'm kinda happy I wasen't inpressed w/the Eden because I'm a compulsive bugger & would of done something my wife wouldn't of been happy about. :);)

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Trying to evaluate an amp, cab or anything at GC is, at best, a semi-futile exercise. In the context where this equipment is designed to do its job (i.e., a club, bar, gig environment), I imagine the Eden would blow away the GK. I've owned and used GK over the years, mainly when it's all I could afford or get my hands on and I play mostly Eden these days. No comparison.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ah! But did you try the hybrid David series heads, like the WT300, 400, 800, etc?

This is what Eden is known for.

Their all tube head is OK, but they don't build it, it is built by Koch electronics for them, and is a little overpriced IMHO.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good point. I regularly gig the WT400 and WT800 and while I've played through the VT300 and found it to be a fine tube amp, the WT amps are the flagship models.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, All I saw was the VT-300.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Agree about GC. especially when trying out basses. The strings are always dead! Always!

7. I've tried a lot of Edens in the stores as well and was never impressed in the least. IMHO both Eden and SWR are some of the most overrated bass amps. I like SWR's cabs but never been impressed with their amps and even less impressed with Eden. Either GK or Ampeg suits me.

8. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I had a VT-300 for a while,you can read my review of it on Harmony Central if you're interested.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes I agree I like the sound of the WT series alot more, I've played alot of GK on a number of occasions, I always wanted to like GK, they seem to be a pretty good value ...price to performance wise. But I never found one that I really liked, they were good but nothing to write home about.

The Eden on the other hand....WOW. I coughed up more for the Eden then I did for the Ampeg I originally bought the day before. Thank God for return policys!!!

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, Eden and SWR amps are, if anything, UNDER-rated. Trying them out in a store is in no way adequate--these amps MUST be used on a gig to appreciate what they can do. Granted, that's not always possible in all areas of the world. Still, it's the only way. I remember the first time I heard an Eden combo at GC and thought, "What's all the fuss about?" Then I used a WT400 on a job and understood. Same with Eden cabs (which are the best, IMO). SWR, especially the Bass 750, is in the same league.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with boogiebass about not getting an adequate tryout of Eden gear in a store.

When I bought my Metro combo, I brought along my Pedulla 5 string to put the amp through its paces, and while I liked what I heard, I was a little disappointed due to the rave reviews that Eden has received here and on other boards I have been on.

But man, the first time that I took this thing on a gig, I discovered where the Eden rep comes from. This thing is loud, has killer tone, and requires little EQ tweaking to adjust to any room that I have ever played.

This is the first amp that I have ever owned that my bandmates actually commented(and complimented me) on my tone and talked about how great the bass sounds.

As you can probably tell, I love this amp!:)