"David" Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Dec 29, 2004.

1. I hope this is OK to post here and not in misc...

Anyways, I was wondering about the naming of the "David" series by Eden. I think a lot of people think there is a David Eden who designed/built the line. I don't think that's right...

I'm speculating that the "David" series is the answer to SWR's "Goliath" series (get it?), or it was named after the Swedish(?) guy who helped design the line.

Anyone know for sure?
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    AFAIK, it was Dave Nordschow's answer to the Goliath- David slayed the big dude, right? I think Dave did pretty well on that count. And I think it is absolutely hilarious when I see people on the net saying "Well, I was talking to David Eden the other day, he's the guy who designed this amp, and..." There is no David Eden!!!
  3. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i think ...
    there's david eden right?
  4. I was pretty sure there was no David Eden.
  5. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    No, there is no "David Eden"... The founder is David D. Nordschow. The line used to be called "David by Eden" as in Eden Electronics, which was/is the name of Dave's company. Over the course of time they seemed to have dropped the "by", maybe because everyone was called it/him David Eden anyway?

FWIW, U.S. Music Corp. (the parent company of Washburn, Randall, Parker Guitars, Oscar Schmidt & SoundTech) acquired Eden Electronics back in 2002.

- Ugly.
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    will the real David Eden please stand up
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Eden Electronics. Its all David Nordschow.

Per WhitePages.com, there are 49 people in the US with the name "David Eden" . . . though none associated with Eden Electronics, of course . . . :eyebrow:
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I believe Eric's 100%.

Now hopefully my info is correct: David Nordschow designed (and I think manufactured) SWR's original Goliath-series cabs in SWR's early days. When he went into the biz for himself, he named his company Eden Electronics, and his top of the line series of cabs was (and still is) the 'David-Series'.

Although they're now owned by US Music Corp, I understand Nordschow is still very involved in the designing/ manufacturing end.

Great stuff IMO. I was very close to buying 2 D-210XST cabs before I got turned on to Jim Bergantino cabs. I'd still love to have another D-410XLT cab.

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    On a strange Eden note:
    Mr. Michael Gordon a.k.a. Cactus (da Phish) has been in many magazines promoting the Eden cabs and even the heads for that matter - WT800 (was it bass player? "Garden of Eden article"?) Anyway I thought it was really strange to watch Phish's IT dvd. He completely blacked out the Eden logo on the top left corner of his cabs?! If you don't play bass, you'd probably never notice. IMHO his slap sound wasn't vey pronounced at all on that whole dvd (and I love the f-ing guy). Does he think IT's (pun inteded) a big secret or something? Weird...
  10. Art, you are correct.
    Art you are correct.
    Art, you are correct.

Eden Electronics is in a little town called Montrose, about 45 min drive from Minneapolis. I went out there one day to try to sell some stuff to them (I was working for an electronics parts distributor). Although Dave wasn't there they gave me a full tour which was quite interesting. If you go to their new web site they feature an amp that came in for service with tire tracks on it. I saw that amp when it first came in, and aside from a couple of knobs, and a broken bolt the thing still worked. They are "road tested":)

All the stuff is still made there, and all the speakers are still designed by Mr. Nordschow, and nothing has changed since U.S. Music bought them out. So "Pre Washburn" means nothing, other than it has given "David Eden" more time to come up with cool new products like his new power amps and the 112xlt, the WT-550, and upgades to several amps along the way.
  11. anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    From what I have read, what you are hearing at the front of house and on the live Phish recordings are not Eden. Supposedly he only uses the Eden for monitoring himself on stage. According to several articles I have read and my personal observations, Mike was using an ADA-MB1 (plus several effects and a Distressor Compressor) to front of house for at least the last few tours. If you are close enough you can see the preset number change on the ADA between some of the songs.

I have a Modulus Q5 and the ADA-MB1 and while I cannot play like Mike I can get pretty close to his sound at times.

My guess is that Mike doesn't want to endorse Eden or is endorsing something else?
  12. Yes Eden Electronic equipment does a great job( I am a satisfied WT550 owner) and Dave Nordschow is great with customer service. There is, in fact a David Eden. Don't think he knows jack about amps though. He is apparently a very well known designer of women's clothes, right up there with Calvin Klien and the boys. Found that while doing a Google on "David Eden" speakers.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My eden Wt-800 shares my birthday oddly enough...
  14. I own a 210-XLT, and also always wondered about the whole "David" thing. Good to finally know.
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Super-thanks to Dave Funk for his clarifications!!!!