1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Ellefson: Isolated bass track for "Wake Up Dead" (1985)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 7, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Ellefson is obviously one of the great metal bassists. His combination of aggression, precision, and technique makes him one of my top five favorite bassists. He also writes great basslines. Here is one of his classic recordings.

deathsdj and SlugThrower like this.
  2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    One of my top 3

A.K. likes this.
  3. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    One of the things I noticed here relates to what I was told as a youngster in the 80's in the studio for the first time - just run everything open. You can cut frequencies; you can't add them. Sounds great to me!

A.K. likes this.
  4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Meaning not to EQ until you have the plain bass track done? Is that not common sense :/

5. I've always loved this song. Dave's tone is great, he's spot on and unlike a lot of his contemporaries...he's audible in the mix!

A.K. likes this.
  6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    2014 me says yes. 1985 me gives you a big middle finger.

If you had never been in a studio before, how do you know what "common sense" is? What, you just plugged in a bass for the first time and knew everything about eq, compression, and recording? Douche.

7. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I love Dave's tone here, and on the entire "Peace Sells" album. His tone is more clanky now, which I also like.

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I prefer to listen to the drum and bass tracks.. This is my favorite

A.K. likes this.
  9. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

Nov 19, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Very cool. Ellefson is a bad, bad man!

10. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Wow. No need to get name calling. It has nothing to do with studio savviness, it's just logic. Why would you doctor up a track without having a basic one to restart from if you don't like it? Maybe in 1985 it was different, but in the digital age it's common sense.

11. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Kinda sounds like a broken old bed spring...

12. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Dave is the man. Such great playing, and surprisingly clean given the genre.

13. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Clean tone I mean...

A.K. likes this.
  14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's what the engineer is for. If every band just waltzed into a studio and did their own recording, mixing, and mastering every recording would sound like crap.

15. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Nice, I love these isolated tracks. Thanks A.K.

A.K. likes this.
  16. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Could this be an alternate take? At 2:42 - 2:43 he plays F#, F, E, and then continues playing. On the original CD there's a 2 measure bass tacet before he starts playing again.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Great stuff. Too bad Dave Mustaine fired Nick Menza (drummer) back then. It's never been the same without him (and without Marty Friedman, or Chris Poland, before him). At least Ellefson came back.

18. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I've been re-visiting this line on my P-bass the last couple of days. You really have to have your picking and timing together to do it justice.

To me, this is one of the all-time great metal basslines.

19. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I like it a lot too. Take a look at this tab and let me know how accurate you think I got it.

Attached Files:

A.K. likes this.
  20. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The tabs are pretty close. The ending is off a bit. check songster.com for tabs. They tend to be more accurate than Ultimate guitar.