1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Ellefson: Isolated bass track to "The Conjuring" (1986)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 21, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    This is one of my favorite songs from "Peace Sells." It features more brilliant bass from Junior. I love pretty much everything about his playing and tone.

2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Jr rules !

A.K. likes this.
  3. Nice.

Where are you getting these?

A.K. likes this.
  4. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    YouTube!

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I have been learning the songs off peace sells and without isolated tracks it's almost impossible to get it right. There is just too much you cannot hear with the guitars and harmonies confusing your ears.

6. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    His tone wasn't as scooped as these days, and a lot more audible.
    That's what I always liked about Megadeth, it was the only metal band where you could actually hear the bass.

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    And that is why he is recognized as a good player. He is the Steve Harris of the Thrash world.

8. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    His isolated bass tracks are without question the most perfect and precise of any I've found. He's an extraordinary bass player.

bhunt1 likes this.
  9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009

Hey man do you know how to play Symphony of Destruction? I got it all but the bass riff run that brings out the end of the guitar solo. I got half the run but not second half. I just got done watching 35 bass covers and not one joker is playing it right. I may not know the right way myself but I can tell wrong when I hear it. There is one video of Ellefson playing it at a back stage jam but it's not close enough.

10. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Try this

The fill you mention appears at 2:47 in the last bar of the guitar solo, and to me it's just a simple Am pentatonic run.
    Dave has a great sound here by the way, and so did Nick, he was an amazing drummer and greatly missed!

11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I been using that track to no avail. Yes it's a simple run, whatever it is but I can also tell it's got a funny time frame to it. I would have filled it in all the way down to the next part but dave pulls off of it early. Not the way I would have done it but since he did it his way I am trying to do it right. Anyone can make up their own and everyone has on youtube. It seems to be 10 or 11 notes. I have 7 of them. The rest could be anything.

12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I got it figured out. I totally don't agree with the choice of notes I will post it in a few.

Bass Growler likes this.
  13. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Second half of the run

Full run

Checking run with me playing. I knew it was simple but connecting it was hard but can be done with cutting it in half Etc.

14. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I'm pretty sure the last note is a low F to get you back into the main riff again. You seem to miss it...?

15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    There should be an f but no there is not. That is why I said I disagree with the composition.

16. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have the Megadeth bass book from Hal Leonard. I'll look it up and see if it clarifies anything.

17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Well there is Tab on youtube I consulted and it really off.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the nuances of the song.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  18. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Found anything yet? That reminds me I ordered the same music book years ago. Waited and waited. Contacted the seller he says he's waiting for it to be sent from the place that distributed it. Later he says they stopped pressing it and he did not have one to send. I think I got a credit but then I lost his contact info. Got hosed on that.

Edit, just looked up your book not the same one. The one I tried to buy was just the peace sells album.