1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Ellefson Picking Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bass Boy J, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    I’ve noticed that David Ellefson has a very good picking technique. I was wondering you keep your wrist relaxed in order to play that fast. I can play that fast, but can’t maintain that speed because my wrist gets really tired. Any tips on how to keep my wrist relaxed like he does?

2. As someone who spent their teens worshipping all the shred guitarists, I can say you’re spot on. It’s all about being as relaxed as possible. It’s a bit of a mind game because musically, you’re being ‘told’ by the music itself that this is exerting a lot of energy, it sounds powerful and like the gas pedal is pushed to the floor. Then you see these guys onstage and they’ve all got their grunt faces on like they’re REALLY busting their asses trying to keep up with their own songs, but it’s just part of the show.

This is precisely why James Hetfield gets the respect he does as a rhythm player, the dude downpicks everything!

Make sure you’re rotating your forearm when you go up/down. You only need enough tension in your wrist to keep your hand straight, your forearm is doing all the work. Just like when you slap/pop, you rotate your wrist back and forth, except you’re adding your whole forearm into it instead of just a portion of it. This takes a huge amount of pressure off your wrist.

3. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    Thanks!

RevDrucifer likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021