1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Ellefson Rust In Peace 20th Anniversary tour tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CliffHarrisFan, Nov 13, 2010.

1. CliffHarrisFan

CliffHarrisFan

Apr 11, 2009
    Hi all,
    For the Megadeth/David Ellefson fans out there. Can anyone provide an explanation as to how he is duplicating the EXACT Rust In Peace tone? He's using a Hartke head instead of GK on the album and the newer Jackson basses have humbuckers instead of PJ configuration. Thoughts?

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Did he use GK on Rust in peace?!?!

3. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    That is a good example of what Jaco said. "The sound is in your hands". Another thing is that he used Hartke and Jackson back in 1990 and he used it for this tour to. He used that combo back then to get that sound. Why would the Hartke/Jackson combo sound different now?

4. The covers might contain P and J-style pickups.
    In all honesty, in the live setting you probably won't hear a note he plays - just a continual rumbling.

That's a comment on live sound, not Ellefson's playing btw.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    he's asking b/c he and you can actually hear his tone and what he's playing on this tour, especially on the DVDs and live clips. Sounds great.

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I saw their first show after David came back and I wasn't able to hear him at all :(

His tone on Rust In Peace Live is amazing but I can't stand hearing Dave with autotune and Chris somehow manages to ruin most of the solos.

7. Any live DVD would sound very different from the actual sound in the arena/venue, as it would be mixed and mastered at length before relase to make it sound as good as possible.

8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    So, even Mustaine uses Auto-tune?

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Your point is...? He's asking b/c he can hear it, and it's not "rumbling" as you stated....

10. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA

The sound is in your gear. Give Dave a Hofner and he won't sound like himself.

11. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Thought people would be interested in this:

Mustaine uses Auto tune??! are you guys sure?

12. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Yeah Dave's vocals on Rust in Peace Live are heavily edited, you can especially hear it on Lucretia. To my knowledge it's the only example of him using it.

Maybe he was just having an off-night, his vocals were great when I saw them but that was the first show of the Rust in Peace Live tour.

If the new album is good my faith will be restored.

13. CliffHarrisFan

CliffHarrisFan

Apr 11, 2009
    When recording Rust In Peace he used a GK 800RB. The Hartke element of his sound back then was the cabs. That's my main query, he gets the same tone out of the Hartke and the Gallien Krueger 800RB, how?

14. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    The 800RB and LH1000 are of a similar desing that gives a very natural uncoloured tone. Its not like an AMpeg wich gives u the Ampegtone it does just amplyfy the sound of ur bassplaying. David sets all his amp EQ flat so they wont colour his sound. Thats why it sounds the same

15. CliffHarrisFan

CliffHarrisFan

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks mate, that answers a lot of questions lol. Really useful info as I've never had the chance to play either amp.

16. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    There is great article in the new Bass player about his rig. Check it out and see how he does it. It is all about 2 channels and di's and effects. From what I read it wasn't as much with the head. He also talked about smaller heads and maxing them for tone when recording and different mics and stuff.

17. I was only making a passing comment on the generally poor quality of bass sound at live metal shows, I had no intention of offending either yourself or the OP. I will now withdraw from this thread as it seems I am getting someone's gander up.