1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Foster Wallace RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by reens, Sep 15, 2008.

1. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    Dunno how many of y'all are into the lit. fiction, but the mighty David Foster Wallace removed himself from our world three days ago :crying:

If anyone's ever read Infinite Jest or his journalism, you'll know he was a cut above the rest. Ferociously funny and a brain that fired on all 12 cylinders all the time. His work really captured what it feels like to the part of this generation, these times.

He wasn't much into music I think, but I thought to post a RIP to one of the best minds of our generation.

Peace DFW,

reens

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, what a bummer. wonder what was up with him.

3. Somebody I should have read a long time ago, and will now have to for sure.

Now, take a read at this. Wallace's depiction of working a day job (mostly white collar, but any day job will do of course) will hit you right straight in the where you live.

http://www.marginalia.org/dfw_kenyon_commencement.html

4. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:bawl::bawl::bawl::scowl::scowl::scowl:

A true literary great. RIP. I was just mentioning him the other day in the Neal Stephenson thread.

5. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    on the wiki page it says his father reckons he struggled with depression for 20+ years.

I still feel very weird about it; one of my heroes is dead...:(

6. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Great, great writer. RIP.