1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Friesen on YouTube

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by jlilley, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Here is an intersting video with some great playing and David's thoughts on music and composition.

John

2. Always love seeing guys from my area. David is a great player but I haven't been to see him in a while. I should go see if he's still doing the shows with John Gross, my favorite sax player. Thanks for this.

3. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    He is still playing with John pretty often. I've seen them at Edgefield and Koji's. If you ever get the chance I'd recommend taking a lesson from him...he has some great insights.
    John

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ditto. Very insightful and giving cat. Really loves working with people.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Indeed. The message of selflessness and serving the music is central to his thinking and my time with him was pivotal in expanding what I believed I was able to do as a musician. He can be very blunt and self centered students have a very hard time with him. I think he's a beautiful and dedicated player though who takes the responsibility of teaching very seriously and expects a great deal of his students.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds about right. I've worked with him a few times at the Aebersold camps. Last year he played a beautiful set with Kenny Werner that was the highlight of my week. Nice guy, very gracious.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Christian philosopher and the Buddhist philosopher. I would have given a lot to hear that.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Doesn't he use a short scale?

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    No, I'm pretty sure that his bass is a full scale bass. Interesting set up, though. Probably some info on it on his website.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He plays a Hemage (sp?) short scale EUB. It plays pretty nice. I just felt uncomfortable trying to play it without the landmarks of the body to guide me. I bet it doesn't take too much time to get used to.

11. I think he has a full scale, and a short scale one, for travel purpose, Chris.

12. JPBass

JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks. What a cool video....

13. Very interesting and informative. Thank You.

14. Ya, I should get in with him sometime. He plays well. He has an interesting time feel. I like his sound even on the EUB too. He scared my girlfriend once when we went to go see him, but I think he's a really great guy from what I know of him so far.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He's scared a couple of us on occasion. Right, PW? ;)

Sorry, inside joke. Carry on...