Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Gage Instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by flyingmarcel, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone might have any info related to the David Gage Stick Bass. Whether you have used one, seen one, etc, I'd be interested to hear anything you may know. Also, I just recently saw an ad for a David Gage instrument that "Plays like a Bass, Travels like a Cello" Anyone know anything about this one?

Thanks and good day

fm

2. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    Marcel, I saw the second bass you mentioned at ISB last
    June. Developed for Ira Coleman it looks like a 3/4 bass
    with a lot of the lower bout removed. The ribs might have
    been a bit wider than some 3/4 if memory serves me.
    Looks a bit odd but it had the db sound rather than the
    eub tone. I also seem to remember something about
    backpacking straps. Maybe you can stroll with the bass?

3. I tried the "Czech Ease" bass (the cut down acoustic), and I think the adds are correct, it felt like a bass to play( unlike most eub's ), sounded nice and loud and deep and ACOUSTIC. A bit boomy , but that might be just a question of moving the soundpost?. Its a plywood, so should stand up to the rigours of gigging. The shape still needs to grow on me though .
    Go try for yourself. ;)

4. Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the replys in regard to these instruments. I'm curious if either of you (or anyone else for that matter!) has an idea of what these basses would cost. I sent an email through the David Gage site a few weeks ago, but never received any info in regard to the instruments. If the price is right, however, it might be worth the 10 hour drive to NYC to try one out!

thanks again

fm