Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Gage Problems

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I have had my Realist for a few years now with not real problems as far as the sound. I really dig it but now the copper around the piezo is rattling on the top of my bass. It doesn't come through the amp but when I play acoustic, which is more often than not, it does and kind of annoying. I'm affraid to put something underneath it like cloth thinkin it might mess with the sound. Anyone else had this problem? Howd ya fix it. Thanks

2. I don't know, but I wonder if it would be OK to trim it. I assume you mean the extra part that sticks out from under the foot is what's rattling. Seems to me you don't need that anyway. Unless it's the part by the wire. I'd stay away from that.

3. Yep that is the part I was talkin about. Sorry it was kind of unclear. It is where the wire from the jack connectes into the pickup.

4. I think I remember another TBer who had Gage "refoil" a Realist. It might be hit or miss reaching David, but it's worth a shot.

5. I sent David Gage an email about a month ago with no reply. I honestly didn't expect to get a reply, bet he is a busy cat. I was thinkin about trying out an Underwood but that is quite a bit of money and I'm not really unhappy with this one. You wouldn't wanna put something underneath the pickup I would think because it might mess with the vibrations. Don't know though, I'm at a loss.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'd be reluctant to do any trimming around the wire end of a Realist... that's where mine fell apart on its own. As I mentioned in another post, Gage said to send it to them with a description of the problem, and they would send a repair/replace assessment. I just never did it because I moved on to the AMT mic.

7. Yea I'm pretty sure I won't be doing any trimming of any sort. Just to risky. Do you only use the mic Marcus?

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Just call up David (or anyone who answers the phone in the shop) They are never so busy that they wont help you get your pick up right. The problem you mention is not unique to you. They usually will replace them for $25. Ask them about it. Those cats are A OK.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I sometimes use a K&K DBT in noisy situations. Mostly, I play unamplified, and then the next choice would be the AMT by itself, followed by the two mixed, followed by the PU alone. They all sound good thru my system.

10. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    You may want to use a bit of hot glue under the rattling part. (Just a film of glue with the hot glue gun.) I've done it with fine results.
    However, if DG refurbishes you with another Realist, that'll make it better.

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You can't possibly mean gluing the Realist to the top of the bass, can you? I hope I just misread that.