David Grossman

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Matthew Tucker, May 9, 2003.

1. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Anyone know what David Grossman is up to?
    I've been listening to him on Marcus Roberts "Time and Circumstance" again, and really loving it.

That was 1996. Has he done any more jazz releases since he joined the NY Philharmonic?
  2. All I know is who does his work.
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    And I suppose now you think Arnold's gonna give you a break on your next repair?
  4. Not really. This is for the freebie I already got. (Bada Bing!)
  5. I just saw David Grossman in the bass section of the NY Philharmonic this week. Naturally, Orin O'Brien is easily recognized as the only woman. I thought it appeared that David Grossman, who appears to be the youngest member of the section, was playing with a German bow, while several other of his section mates appeared to be playing French bow. With 7 bassists playing at the same time, I could not tell how each one sounded individually. However, they were all wonderful.
  6. There are two women in the section. Michele Saxon must have one of the two members not playing that night. (Normal complement is nine.)
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I got to meet him in passing last Friday night, he and his wife were going to a Broadway show and he fell by SOFIA'S for a minute. He stopped by the stand to say Hi to Red Hendstrom (the tenor player) who he knows because Red hangs at SOFIA'S when he's not playing there and had met David when he was playing bass with Helen Sung (www.helensung.com), so Red introduced him to the rest of the trio.

We didn't get to talk much because we were in the middle of a set and he and his wife were on their way out, but he hung for a couple of tunes.

Very nice cat.
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I wish i lived in NY.